Covid vaccine experience

Except that .1% or whatever it is is the active ingredient designed to provoke an immune response, so it’s pretty important! And the differences may well matter. As someone with a hyperactive immune system as one of my health issues, I sometimes can literally see the reaction too, because I get a large flat raised red mark, in addition to soreness. The inactive ingredients will only matter if you happen to be allergic or sensitive to them.

People on here do IM insulin injections all the time, and I’ve never heard of it causing that type of pain. Also I’ve never heard of that type of reaction with hormone IM injections, which use standard IM needles, and I know many people who do those very regularly as part of their gender affirming HRT. So again, really sure this is about the immune response not muscle injury.

2 Likes

If you want to feel an inoculation’s after effects go get the shingles shot. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Agreed. That is the only vaccine I ever felt the next day.

2 Likes

Gardasil is probably the most painful vaccine I’ve ever had, though that one is also weirdly painful right after the actual injection if I remember correctly (it’s been a very long time).

2 Likes

It’s been 10 days since I got the first Moderna vaccine. A few things I noticed: 1) my BG ran lower than normal the day of and day after; 2) slight soreness at the injection site the day after then it felt fine; 3) about day 8/9 the injection site became pretty sore, raised and warm.

Nothing major, just sharing.

9 Likes

I just had my first Moderma shot a few days
ago. The following morning I took insulin for my breakfast. My sugar dropped throughout the rest of the day I ate my meals and added a few extra snacks with no insulin until the next morning for breakfast. I was hoping it was a miracle and have a cure for diabetes😊****

14 Likes

So my localized arm pain disappeared within about 3 days. So that was good.

However, I am having some other persistent symptoms that seem quite possibly to be an inflammatory reaction to the vaccine. I had the vaccine on a Sat midday, and since that Sun evening, my hand joints started aching a bit, which at first I attributed to my chronic issues. By Tues evening, I was starting to get aching throughout my hands in a very unusual for me way, as well as swelling. Since then (now it’s been a couple of weeks), I’ve been having swelling in both hands as well as redness at knuckle joints, and some swelling and aching in my feet/toes too. At one point thumb joint where the symptoms were most noticeable at started itching and had red blotchy skin, which responded well to topical cortisone. I saw my PCP, who is similarly concerned as I am about the possibility of an inflammatory arthritis type issue having been triggered by the vaccine, and she ordered an autoimmune/RA panel, which so far came back within normal levels. Apparently Psoriatic Arthritis, which I think this looks more similar to than Rheumatoid, doesn’t come with any abnormal lab tests though. I’ve never had any of these types of symptoms before. My autoimmune issues to date are T1D and frozen shoulder in both shoulders (likely itself an autoimmune reaction to rotator cuff tendinitis), though I’ve suspected other autoimmune issues at play in unclear ways with other issues, and I’ve always had a positive ANA (1:320-640 range). That said, I’m now wondering about whether increased pain and fatigue and other symptoms I’ve had over the past couple of years that I’ve assumed were attributable to my existing diagnoses might have been low grade PsA or whatever this is, and the vaccine just kicked off an acute episode of something that already existed but I hadn’t realized. Am waiting to get in to see a rheumatologist to figure out whether we should try treating these symptoms with a biologic or some kind of targeted drug.

The plan at the moment is to still go forward with the second vaccination shot, since the reaction wasn’t anaphylactic, and it seems quite likely that whatever damage was done is done.

I would still strongly recommend getting the vaccine—I know so many people who have gotten it, and I’m the only person I’ve heard of yet who had this kind of reaction. My suspicion is that this means I would have likely been someone who would have either this or other complications in response to COVID infection (and I think anyone not vaccinated is almost certainly eventually going to get infected), and as I said, that maybe this was worsening of something that was indeed already happening rather than onset of a new condition. I debated not saying anything, because I don’t want to discourage people from getting vaccinated, but I also think sharing information is important. I have also reported all of this to the CDC using their post-vaccination symptom tracker, but have not yet been contacted by them for any follow up.

15 Likes

I am hopeful based on some of the newer research coming out that they may decide the second one isn’t entirely necessary… some research is showing its protective effects are insignificant… that’d really open the door to getting ahead of this situation nation/world wide imo… in the same sense very relieved they’re now saying the Pfizer vaccine can be more lax with ultra cold requirements… all steps in right direction

5 Likes

Actually managed to get into a rheumatologist today (definitely pays having medical system connections). No definitive answers yet, and it may take some time to figure out whether this is part of a chronic condition or not, but the dept has seen one other case of COVID vaccine-related arthritis, so this may be an uncommon but real thing. Getting a bunch more tests done and waiting on those. Also he recommended against my getting the second dose, since it very well could further worsen things and evidence is suggesting that the first dose alone is quite protective, so the risk/reward ratio for me given how the first shot went may point to skipping. I’m still kind of bummed, since I’d like every bit of protection I can get, but I’ll deal. I’m still glad I was able to get at least one dose.

6 Likes

Anybody hear of having hypos after the vaccine? I am trending low again (thank goodness I can feel it) for the third time since getting jabbed this morning. It does not help the the G6 just can’t keep up. :frowning:

ETA: I ran a slight fever last night and BG went up to ~160. Corrected conservatively and went back to sleep. Okay so far this morning.

3 Likes

My state just opened up the 60+ group, so I was able to sign up. So first injection in about 4 weeks. It was interesting to see how quickly appointment slots filled up, as I checked 2 hours later to possibly change my time, and next available appt was additional 2 weeks out.

( I was scheduled for 2nd shingles injection on same day I picked for covid. Then checked with doctor and told shingles shot had to be rescheduled to be at least 2 weeks after 2nd covid. )

Update:
On 2/27 I was able to get sooner covid appt at Kroger, so now dates are in march.

So can move my shingles 2nd injection sooner too.

4 Likes

I dont know if means much, but I thought I would just throw in my 2 cents. I am one of the ones who does IM injections all the time. If my BG is 130 or higher, I will do an immediate IM correction. I NEVER have any residual pain. Not once. The only weird reaction I once had was hitting a blood vessel and then a swelling up beneath the skin, which formed a very small lump. I put a hot compress on it and it was gone by the next day. And nothing tragic happened either. My blood sugars came down immediately (within 45 minutes or so) and all was well. No pain at injection site or anything.

6 Likes

@CatLady my BG ran lower than normal for about 48 hours after my first dose. Not a dramatic change but noticeable for me.

5 Likes

Sorry you experienced that, @cardamom , and can’t get a second dose. I hope you get some answers and the symptoms improve.

3 Likes

@cardamom
I hope you are feeling better. :pray:t3:

2 Likes

I just got my first Covid vaccine this past Friday (two days ago) I got the Moderna vaccine. Within an hour after the injection, my BGs plummeted to 45. I spent the entire day trying to raise it. I dont know if this is just a weird coincidence, or if it had anything to do with my reaction to the shot. I just thought I would post that it happened. Maybe someone else experienced lows after their injection as well.

Also, my only other side effect from this first shot is a terribly sore and painful area in the shoulder muscle where I received the shot. Its day 2 post injection, and I am still experiencing a lot of pain.

Other than that, nothing. But of course, I am awaiting shot number two.

My husband, who is not D, got his second shot this past Thursday. By Thursday evening, he started to feel a little tired and had a headache. By the next day, he felt extremely exhausted and a little achey, but had no fever and did not feel Flu-ish. By that evening he felt back to normal. 100%. He did have a rash at the injection site though for about 24 hours. (His sister, who is also not a D, had the exact same experience as he had, including the rash at the injection site.)

I get my second injection in two weeks.I feel extremely fortunate to have found a place that had the vaccine available.( I had to bring a letter from my doctor to prove that I had co-morbidities. They even scanned the letter along with my drivers license.) Its been really challenging to find a place in New York City that has the shots available if you are not a Front Line Worker or in the Health Services.

Good luck to all. Prayers are with you. :pray: :crossed_fingers: :innocent:

5 Likes

This is interesting bc I was scheduled to have an epidural injection and was told I could not have a Covid vaccine either two weeks prior or post epidural. Or the other way around. I was told that having either of them close together would effect my immune system. I was in such pain and had waited over a month to get the epidural that I opted to wait on the Covid vaccine. I was VERY fortunate to have been able to get the inoculation two weeks later (fortunate that I found one available).

2 Likes

I had nothing after my first Pfizer shot on Feb 3. But got my second Pfizer shot on the 24th and did experience lows after. Also found that my Dexcom G6 plummeted and stayed there even though I ate many doughnuts and my blood sugar rose back to normal–Dexcom showing 45 and finger stick showing about a hundred points higher. Calibrated, calibrated again. Changed sensor, same result. Changed transmitter (but with same second sensor) same result. Sensor blanked out, but before I got around to changing it the number came back and now it is ok. After a couple of days everything seems normal again, both my sugars and the Dexcom response. Wish I had documented the sequence to report to CDC and Dexcom. I can’t really untangle it now. Only other symptom both times was a very sore arm, reminding me of the plague shots I got in the 1960’s.

6 Likes

Oh, DM, that’s awful! Any idea how many extra carbs you took in before your BG corrected?

2 Likes

I’m trying to figure this one out because my low happened about 20 minutes to 45 minutes after the injection. At first, I took 2 glucose tablets, which would have been my normal correction (8gms) but at that point my BG was 60. Then within 15 minutes I sank down to that wretched 45 so I took a Transcend gel shot (17gms) which usually results in an immediate response (10 minutes), but nothing happened. I tried to be patient and waited (we were in Starbucks at the time, and I had to wobble back to the car :crazy_face:.) By the time I got home though, my BG had shot up to 150something or other so I took an IM shot to bring my BG back down quickly, but I overshot the mark and went low again. Then the rest of the day was simply a roller coaster. :weary: I must have had a total of about 40-60gms of carbs throughout the day in the effort to keep my BGs up. But who the heck knows. It was just a royal PITA !!! This went on for 2 days. I even put my pump on a 95% TB. Now everything seems to be back to normal. :pray: :heart:

3 Likes