COVID-19 and Type 1 vs. Type 2

Dr. Fauci gave a lecture that you can find on YouTube:

In minute 23 he shows a list of underlying medical conditions associated with increased risk for severe COVID-19 illness. Type 2 Diabetes is among them, and he highlights it in his narrative.

Then he shows a list of conditions that he says are “more weakly” associated with severe outcomes, and Diabetes Type 1 is on that list. Again it is one of the two conditions that he highlights in his narrative.

First I have seen distinguishing between T1 and T2.

7 Likes

@Randy:

Thank you for posting that. I can’t say that I’m surprised that a scientist like Dr Fauci would make that distinction when so many other gloss over such “minor” differences …

Stay safe!

John

1 Like

Once hospitalization is required, it may be a different story for those with type 1. A whole population study of hospitalized Covid-19 patients in England published in the Lancet found that those with type 1 were 3 and 1/2 times as likely to die and those with type 2 about 2 times as likely to die compared to patients without diabetes. Here’s a link: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/landia/article/PIIS2213-8587(20)30272-2/fulltext

5 Likes

Thanks for posting this.

1 Like

Wow. Thank you @bob.carlson. That is perhaps the definitive word on what to expect if your COVID gets to the hospitalization stage. We may never know the odds if our illness doesn’t get to that point. As a T1 it’s not good news, but it is science.

2 Likes

Note that this study is most relevant to persons older than 50 with type 1 diabetes.

This chart:

“Figure 1Unadjusted in-hospital COVID-19 mortality rates, March 1 to May 11, 2020, by diabetes status”

Contains the following caption:

“Data for age groups 0–39 years and 40–49 years for type 1 diabetes and 0–39 years and 50–59 years for no diabetes have been excluded because of small numbers of events (one to four), to comply with data protection regulations.”

This indicates that there were so few people under the age of 50 with type 1 diabetes that were hospitalized and died that they couldn’t even post the data.

4 Likes

Yeah, my takeaway is basically that Samson is at likely much elevated risk compared to other kids his age, but still at much lower risk than me, for instance, simply because he’s 6 years old, not nearly 40.

2 Likes