Another study on COVID-19 and diabetes (from France)

Just came across this. I am not sure if it’s yet another study or if it’s been mentioned before. Much the same conclusions as others, but this one adds some interesting details that others may not have addressed, such as the role that age, diabetes control, and presence of complications may play.

5 Likes

This quote:

The researchers noted that medications for modifying blood sugar, such as insulin, are not a risk factor for severe forms of COVID-19 and ought to be continued for people with diabetes.

Yay! I get to keep taking my insulin!

:partying_face:

5 Likes

Breathing seems to be a substantial risk. Should we continue? :laughing:

4 Likes

Hmm, so as a T1 woman in late 30s with decent control currently but retina complications, it’s hard to figure how all those intersecting factors play out re: risk. I’m continuing to consider myself rather high risk—perhaps if I had no vascular complications whatsoever (and no other medical conditions that seem like they might increase risk for cytokine storm or other factors worsening COVID), I would consider my risk not that elevated.

1 Like

“ While blood sugar management did not affect COVID-19 outcomes in this study, several factors were associated with higher rates of needing mechanical ventilation and of death: the presence of diabetes complications, older age, and higher BMI.”

That’s the confusing thing. The statistical average diabetic is not a very healthy demographic… typically they’re older, significantly overweight, and have other comorbidities…

So it’s really hard to untangle how otherwise healthy younger people who aren’t substantially overweight actually fare.

“there were no deaths in patients under 65 years old with type 1 diabetes, but the authors highlight there were only 39 patients with type 1 diabetes in this study and other work is ongoing to establish the effect of COVID-19 in this specific population.”

That is encouraging. Sounds like more studies will be coming out specific to Type 1, hopefully soon.

1 Like

This study hasn’t really changed my risk assessment at all. The study was done on patients with diabetes who were already hospitalized. Numerous studies have concluded that “diabetes” (including Type 1 diabetes) seems to increase risk of severe COVID-19. This study was done on people who (since they were hospitalized) all already had severe COVID-19. So I’d still consider myself at high risk, personally.

The part about control, to me, seems to just indicate that better or worse control had no effect on whether a patient might die. Which sort of just backs up what other studies have concluded: that even people with well-controlled diabetes are at substantially higher risk of severe illness and/or death from COVID-19.

I did find this quote interesting:

They add: “Elderly populations with long-term diabetes with advanced diabetic complications and/or treated obstructive sleep apnoea were particularly at risk of early death, and might require specific management to avoid infection with the novel coronavirus. BMI also appears as an independent prognostic factor for COVID-19 severity in the population living with diabetes requiring hospital admission. The link between obesity and COVID-19 requires further study.”

I’ve seen obesity mentioned often as a risk factor, which is concerning for me as someone who is overweight. But this is the first time I’ve seen obstructive sleep apnea mentioned as a possible risk factor, though I have wondered about it, since that’s another condition I live with. But, like diabetes, it is sort of vague and can mean so many things, especially since most people don’t seem to actually use their CPAP machine consistently, even if they have been prescribed one.

All in all, until we know otherwise, I’m acting as if I’m at substantially higher risk of getting seriously ill, even though I’m younger (late 30s), a woman, and have decent diabetes control.

5 Likes

I think this is a wise approach for the time being, regardless of age, diabetes control, or other health concerns.

3 Likes