"Severe Type 1 Diabetics" are eligible for COVID vaccine in IN now

Evidently if you are T1D and have been hospitalized in the last year you are (1.) “severe” and (2.) eligible for the COVID vaccine.

Glad I don’t have “severe” T1D! But wish I could get the vaccine!

6 Likes

@T1Allison I’m with you, glad I don’t qualify per the criteria, but don’t understand the T1 exclusion of the group at all. I got in due to age (66) in WV and just got called to get my second shot on Friday. Think T1’s deserved to be in the group more than “age” qualification!

4 Likes

We all do TomH, especially those of us with younger Type 1’s. In my state my son is going to get his shot next month not because of T1 but because of his part time job busing tables. It is really galling to me.

7 Likes

“People with severe type 1 diabetes, who have been hospitalized in the past year.”

That pretty much eliminates most T1Ds. What is “severe”.

3 Likes

do you have to have been hospitalized for your diabetes? Or could you have been whacked in the head with a tree branch or something and still be eligible?

8 Likes

@T1Allison, I am always willing to help you out.

I mean, like if the tree is not cooperating or whatever. Happy to help you out there. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I would think high A1c would be a much more relevant and reasonable risk approximation than past year’s hospitalization, especially if unspecified whether for DKA or hypoglycemia. Also when I was hospitalized for DKA a long time ago, I was in otherwise pretty good control, just got salmonella and failed at sick day rules, and learned to never make that mistake again.

5 Likes

The people writing these rules don’t understand diabetes at all.

6 Likes

The prioritization here in WA started out iffy but seemed to sort of have a basis in CDC guidance…but as time went on (and diabetics kept getting pushed farther back in line) all of that was thrown out the window. It looks like 64 year old Type 1’s will be among the last 25% of the population vaccinated.

2 Likes

Living in Florida as the world has been navigating the pandemic has been…let’s just say “interesting.” Two weeks ago, the governor allowed doctors to designate certain patients as “extremely vulnerable” to COVID-19. Knowing that the CDC had only prioritized T2s, I half-jokingly asked my endo at my appointment, which was two days after the governor’s announcement, whether she’d had a lot of people asking for letters. Without missing a beat, she said, “You qualify, do you want one?” I said, “Yes!” So, March 11, I got my jab of the J&J vaccine at the local Walmart amongst the barbecues & charcoal in the garden center. The pharmacist did ask me what my condition was and it’s the first time I’ve ever said diabetes without specifying Type 1. A few hours after the shot, I started having chills, sweats, headache & nausea, but after about 12 hours, I felt fine. Here’s to hoping the floodgates open soon and everyone who wants a shot can get one.

8 Likes

I only have mild type 1 diabeetus per this definition. And I don’t live in IN

2 Likes

Well WA changed things up for the better…those with “two comorbidities” (using the honor system) and those age 60-64 will be eligible Mar 31. Interesting how far they’ve varied from the original priority phasing…

2 Likes

California eligibility is still narrow (T2, A1C > 7.5) but San Francisco said f*** that and said any diabetics, with any A1C, qualify. I guess we had a lot of healthcare workers (about 200k) but once we got through that population we maybe have more room for those with preexisting conditions.

In any case it’s on the honor system, so most folks have been able to get appointments. I don’t know too many people jumping the line but it’s certainly possible.

3 Likes