Choosing a Dexcom G6 / xDrip+ compatible watch in September 2020

Thanks @dmac, I really appreciate your support and providing the links and battery usage. I definitely would still be using my two, SW3 watches standalone but I’ve switched to Loop which runs on iPhone. Now that OmniPod is supported by AndroidAPS I could switch back to Android and xDrip+ but I’m having good results with Loop. Also, because I need to have my phone and Rileylink with me all of the time for the loop algorithm, standalone watch support is no longer critical. Perhaps if Loop or AndroidAPS supports the dash pod, rileylink will no longer be needed, and the SW3 could run the critical Loop code standalone! I use Apple Watch now but it still is unable to connect with Dexcom standalone.

1 Like

@Trying, I understand. Also the cost of working used SW3 watches is ‘crazy’. I really like the bluetooth tech that Sony used, one of the reasons that most watches have a problem working standalone.
In my environment I must use a standalone watch for several reasons. The SW3 has been a very faithful standalone data collector for both the G5 and G6.

3 Likes

Did you receive your BlueJay watch yet? How is it going?

2 Likes

I use a fitbit ionic, and have my phone close by at all times. I use xDrip on samsung phone and like the additional info/stats available in xDrip, which also provides data to ionic.

First of all, sorry for tagging you a year later about this comment! Question- When you say that the Samsung Watch can be used as a standalone but you can’t be completely phone free, does that mean that if I were to leave my phone at home and go out with just my LTE watch, could my watch act as a receiver? Or is that what you mean by phone free, that I cannot be without the phone? Is the reason that we can’t be phone free due to the battery life of the watch or other reasons?

Edit: we’d like to switch over from iPhone to Samsung to able to use XDrip on a (newer) Samsung/android watch as a standalone receiver for the dexcom.

Edit: it’s my first time on this forum and I’m super new to xdrip/android so sorry if these are stupid questions!

1 Like

None of the questions you asked are stupid. Welcome to FUD @antimony13, I don’t know the answer but hopefully someone will be by soon that does.

Incredibly touched by the warm welcome Chris! Thank you so much!

1 Like

Antimony13,
I am not familiar with the newer Galaxy watches, I have the classic Galaxy watch. So there may be the ability on the android Galaxy with LTE to follow Dexcom/xDrip. However, I think there would be a few issues:

1. Watch battery life.
  2. Functionality. Much of the information, such as change in glucose, graphing of bg levels over time, rate of rise or fall, alarms, and etc., are calculated on the phone and transmitted to the watch via xDrip+. The readout on the watch FreDiabetics gitHub app, aka his TaskerProject. It is freeware that allows you to design your own watch face.
  3. Data transmission. There are always glitches, hangups, and sometimes delay in reporting values.
  4. Not much data is stored on the watch, so unless you have the phone to capture the data, you will not be able to statistically analyze your readings.
    5 I certainly would not make treatment decisions solely on the reading on your watch. I always check my phone.

I really like my Galaxy watch and phone combo. I am able to configure information/data in a way that is informative to me.

I will try to post some of the watch faces I created using FreDiabetes Tasker Project. I have programed my watch face to shift color with changes in BG; e.g. below 65 or above 220 the face turns red, +>65 and <= 144 green, and etc.

Fortunately you receive data on both the watch and your phone, so you can compare data/information.

Let us know what you decide, or if you have more questions.

Mike

1 Like