FUDiabetes

Changes, they are a comin' (Jan 2020)

Novo nordisk also makes tresiba which I prefer over levemir or lantus… lasts about 24 hours, not sure if he is on 1 or 2 shots per day, but tresiba would definitely be 1…my insurance company switched to levemir, but humalog instead of novo log…but tresiba and levemir were interchangeable…

2 Likes

I love that suggestion, and if possible, I’d appeal - especially with @Eric at your side! He really helped EH and I get the omnipod!

2 Likes

My insurance switched me from Contour to Accu-Check (and from Humalog to Novolog) last year. I was upset. But, for me, it ended up not being worth fighting.
The Accu-Chek Guide is a good meter. The Contour is, I believe, slightly more accurate, but the Accu-Chek is still among the top meters accuracy-wise. The Guide has a better port light than the Contour. (I found the one on the Contour a little dim and it had to be turned on whereas the Guide’s light always comes on.) Accu-Chek also has a more thoughtfully designed lancing device and test strip vial. (The strips don’t fall out if you drop it or tip it while taking out a strip.)
In your case, it might be worth battling insurance especially since you are fighting for your child rather than yourself. In my case, it wasn’t.
(You could hoard some Contour strips for when accuracy is of particular importance or for when you doubt the Accu-Chek and use Accu-Chek for everyday testing. I think you’ll find they are similar, with the Accu-Chek just tending to read a few points lower than the Contour)

1 Like

In my experience they have little interest in “practical” reasons reasons why people prefer a certain strip (eg it’s the most accurate—- they’ll just say that’s subjective and they all meet fda standards) but will consider ironclad functional reasons—- eg this meter has audio functions and the patient is blind. I’ve also read somewhere in my Caremark stuff that they have an exception to Provide freestyle strips for people using omnipod as that’s what the system calls for… though not sure if you’re still podding if you’re on the loop.

I was frustrated when Caremark switched me to accuchek guide because I don’t like change, particularly change I have no say in… but I’ve actually turned out to be quite pleased with it

3 Likes

Buy them on Amazon. They don’t cost much.

1 Like

Then Nano has apparently been discontinued. :frowning:

Here’s the email I’ve sent to our Endo office - we’ll see where it goes from here:

Laura,

We received the following letter from CVS (attached.) We would like to continue using our current meter (Contour Next One) so it appears that we need an authorization letter submitted for review and, hopefully, approval so that Liam can continue using the Contour Next One meter. The reasons we are requesting to keep this current meter are as follows:

1. First and foremost, to help him be as independent as he wishes to be, the small size of the Contour Next One meter allows Liam (5 years old) to grip the meter with his small hands and check his own BG levels without aid from adults. We have attempted to utilize larger meters in the past and Liam has difficulty holding these and using them effectively. He has been using the Contour Next One meter and has become familiar with this meter and introducing a new, larger meter to him will most certainly cause frustration and create a situation where he no longer wants to be independent. We always promote independence even at his young age, for simple tasks that pose no threat to him (such as administering insulin.)

2. The Contour Next One has been a very reliable meter for us as far as it’s accuracy is concerned. We realize that the Accu-Check meters are also accurate, but the accuracy combined with the small size of the Contour Next One meter makes it unmatched for someone as young as our son to maintain his own independence where he wishes to be independent at his age. Accu-Chek used to offer a small meter as well - the Accu-Chek Aviva Nano, but as you can see from the below screenshot (taken from the meters offered at the link within the letter under “What to do Next” section), that isn’t one of the meters that’s offered, and that model has been discontinued either way.

1. The test strips for the Contour Next One - strip for strip - are cheaper in all instances than the Accu-Chek meter strips. See chart below. This data was compiled from the meter websites as well as Amazon for the cost of the test strips - 50 strips comparison cost.

Because all of the meters use the same size blood drop sample (.6), this is not a factor that we are taking into consideration.

Please advise as to how we should proceed in this regard. We really love our Contour Next One for our son and we hope we can get approved to continue using it so that he can take ownership of his diabetes in this simple regard. This really is critical for him eventually taking full ownership of his health over the long term. By allowing him a process that he can handle (ease of use, small enough that he can use it alone) early on, he will grow to be independent and take control of his disease.

4 Likes

Good luck with it! In my experience it will likely come down to how your plan is structured. If it’s a self funded plan with a contracted PBM (as is mine) it will end up on the desk of someone who actually works for the same organization to some extent as you do and they’ll likely approve it because it’s ultimately a reasonable request and the cost is likely negligibly different…(might require legwork on your own part to get it to their desk because the doctors office would have no idea how the dots connect).

If they’ve actually hired Caremark to control the purse strings entirely it may be a different story where some bean counter may just rubber stamp it NO because there’s a formulary alternative and that’s all they’re required to care about. Please keep us posted.

1 Like