CGM mobile app annoyance

yeah it’s kind of crazy – I mean, it’s an app – what’s to approve? But then I remembered that it’s also a life-saving alarm that could cost people lives if it malfunctioned. So I sorta get it. Then again, my Dexcom Follow NEVER alarms at night and it’s FDA-approved. I have to open my computer and leave NightScout open for it to alarm. So clearly whatever laborious process the FDA is using to approve it is not sufficient. I’m also just not convinced that the FDA has staff with the suitable level of expertise to evaluate a computer app.

1 Like

I think the problem is that there is only one iOS and the hardware is all proprietary, so the FDA only needs to test one device.

Android on the other hand, is whatever a vendor wants to do with it, and there are so many different hardwares out there nobody’s even counting them anymore.

FDA requires that the core functions of the Dexcom system never, ever, never, ever fail lest someone perishes from missing an alert. So in their little world every Android based phone back to Gingerbread has to pass muster.

When will the FDA approve Dexcom for Android? End of 2017 Mid 2018 End of 2018 DON’T HOLD YOUR BREATH.

2 Likes

I find this extremely ironic given that my Dexcom Follow app seems to be lacking the core functionality – namely the alerts at highs and lows. I have no idea why it does not make sound, but does so only 10 percent of the time. I’m not on Do Not Disturb mode or airplane mode or anything, and I have checked my settings numerous times. In the end i found it easier to just use Night Scout, which is more reliable.

1 Like

Dexcom has spent millions by edict of the FDA to advise users of their receivers that sometimes the alarm will fail to sound. It’s a mystery why the same warning has not been ordered for the Follow apps.

15 posts were split to a new topic: How do I start xdrip+ with a Dexcom?

Guys, I am splitting the thread to an xDrip thread for the latest part of the discussion.

1 Like