Carbs or net carbs

FOTF - that’s a new one for me. It increases occasionally for me, not by too much, although noticeable…~20 points.

Carbs or net carbs, tonight’s dinner was a whopping 58 g carbs because it included cinnamon raisin bread with cream cheese for dessert, and pasta, salmon, veggies. Yummy! I injected 3 times because I don’t know what my total meal carbs are until I finish. And I bled slightly each time that I injected in the outer thigh. Does it mean anything?

1 Like

@lh378 I have no idea about the bleeding each time, that’s a new one for me!

This is where I find a pump to be most useful when I have to adjust for what I eat. I used to take one shot as a prebolus when on MDI and sometimes then ate to what I had taken insulin wise. When I went on a pump I decreased my insulin usage by more than half because I was taking it at the right time and the more appropriate amounts. A basic for me is half a half hour before I eat and the other half when I eat adjusted for what I actually ate. Plus it’s the easiness of being able to give the .25 or 1 unit dose to adjust your levels along the way if needed that works really well for me.

3 Likes

My endo is also the leader of our nutrition group. She says to use net carbs. But of course it is according to each person’s experience.

I found this on google - maybe it willl help: A whole avocado provides about 17 grams of carbohydrate and 13.5 grams of fiber . There is very little sugar in an avocado (less than one gram) and the rest of the carbohydrate in the fruit comes from starch. A single serving of avocado provides about 4.2 carbohydrates and 3.35 grams of fiber .

4 Likes

In the EU it isn’t mandatory to report fiber on the nutrition label, as far as I know. If it is reported, it’s never listed under carbs. Personally, I never pay attention to it.

3 Likes

the idea of carbs was indeed a marketing tool pointed toward non-diabetic keto diet folks. It’s a way to keep them buying foods that would otherwise be excluded from the keto diet. These people have zero BG issues so if course it can be claimed there is no or lower affect on BG.

It is not for diabetics and it’s foolish to use the idea of net carbs. Count only total carbs and you won’t make a problematic miscalculated food choice. You won’t question why your number spiked over a 5g “net carb” food which actually has 20-30g of actual carbs. Agave syrup is one example. Diabetics might well just chug good old syrup.

I was at first, happy to learn about this “new discovery” of net carbs only to become frustrated with why did my number blow up by 200pts after consumption? It was because net carbs are not a real thing for diabetics. But we see no mention anywhere media wise about that fact or even questioning what net carbs are and where is the true scientific data study examining net carbs as they pertain to us diabetics. And for the love of everything holy… ignore the “Dr.” OzPhilwhoever media created snake oil salesmen, they have no care about helping anyone other than their own pocketbooks.

BTW, as we each learn for ourselves it’s not as simple as how many carbs but what kind of carb a we decide to eat.

6 Likes

Agree.
I eliminated most of the carbs from my diet and maintain my 90-day A1c in high 4s and low 5s. For me, it is impossible to eat carbs and have normal BGs.

4 Likes

You do not have to low carb to get excellent numbers. I prebolus, sugar surf and use exercise to control my BG levels.

5.1% A1C
I eat what I want as long as it’s vegan. I do not low carb

4 Likes

How many carbs do you eat on average?

1 Like

I vary day to day. It just depends on what I feel like eating. I probably average 100-150 a day. I just don’t eat a lot as I’m retired.

1 Like

@Boerenkool This afternoon I had butternut squash Ravioli at 49 carbs, marinara sauce at 8 carbs, fake meatballs at 12 carbs. Followed with a piece of chocolate at 8 carbs. That’s 77 carbs for the one meal. But about only 30 carbs the rest of the day, (the ravioli was very filling.)

I have not gone over 145 for the day, and the over 140 was only for 10 minutes for the whole day. Over 130 has been less than an hour and a half for the day.

4 Likes

I eat half a very large avocado almost every night with my dinner. I bolus for 8 grams. I have never had a problem with either its rate of digestion or either its fat content slowing down the digestion of the rest of my meal. I completely ignore the “carb” recommendations as I find they r unhelpful to me…but then again, I must bolus for any protein, whether is b almonds, or cheese, or plain turkey breast, fish, and especially any red meat. of course, as always, YDMV. hope this was somewhat helpful if not just confusing. :crossed_fingers:

@Chris
You are right, some of the fiber is digestible, not by our digestive enzymes in the small intestine, but by the enzymes produced by the microbial population in our large intestine. Since fiber is digested by the microbes the end products are volatile fatty acids (VFAs = acetate, propionate, and butyrate) not glucose. The only VFA that can be converted to glucose is propionate. The contribution of fiber or VFAs to our glucose or energy status depends on how much fiber we eat. The more fiber, the larger more active microbial population, the more VFAs. (I’m a ruminant nutritionist :blush::cow2::cow:)

5 Likes

SCFA (short chain fatty acids)? I’ve read that SCFA can be beneficial for overall health. A diet rich in fiber is healthy. The challenge is how to increase fiber reasonably and “smartly” if there is such a word, by eating whole/real foods. Suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

@lh378
Yes, these are short chain fatty acids. Increasing your fiber intake can be done by reducing the processed foods in your diet and increasing foods like beans and lentils (canned beans are easy and go well as a side dish, in soups, chili, or I like them in a salad, my favorites are garbanzo beans and black beans, I like to put canned beans in a colander and rinse the"slimy" “bean juice” off before I use them; dry lentils don’t have to be soaked and cook fairly quickly, about 20 min, side dish in place of rice or added to soups or salads), fruits like berries and apples (I eat an apple every day at lunch), and lots of veggies like carrots, spinach, broccoli. And of course oatmeal, which contains beta-glucan, a soluble fiber that has been shown to reduce cholesterol and moderate BG levels. Barley contains even more beta-glucan than oatmeal, and is great added to soups, stews and casseroles. Hope there are a few practical ideas for you.:blush:

3 Likes

For sure.

I came across this about Resistant Starch, and wanted to share. It includes a discussion about cooked and cooled starches:http://hopkinsdiabetesinfo.org/what-is-resistant-starch/. My guess is that it doesn’t change the carb content; may increase the fiber, which is always good. We can now say leftovers may be better than freshly cooked :slightly_smiling_face:.

2 Likes

Has anyone tried this? Not recommending it, but just curious

https://www.muniqlife.com/

It’s supposed to be high in fiber, and it makes a whole bunch claims of can be healthy for you…etc. when I looked at the carbs, it was like 42 g carbs and net 6-7 grams carbs. Can you imagine the impact of someone dosing the insulin based on the net carb and their BG soared. I’m not liking this net carb “description” - really sounds like a made up term.

1 Like

I haven’t tried it but I agree! I have tried an Atkins Bar which uses the same concept to trick one into thinking they are eating fewer carbs by displaying Net Carbs at 0 or something crazy like that. In fact, in my one experiment, it did cause my BG to spike.

On the other hand, I do typically subtract the non digestible fiber in some foods, such chia seeds, and bolus based on the “net” carbs. It works for seeds!

3 Likes

I’m liking chia seeds pudding. I mix some chia seeds, and water to make the basic pudding. Then I can add vanilla yogurt, or ice cream, or honey. Sometimes I eat it plain with some berries. The chia seeds help to keep me feel full.

2 Likes

I make this, too. Chia seeds, hemp and flax seeds in hot water, then add yogurt and berries and fruit. I eat it almost daily.

2 Likes

@lh378 and @Marie I’ve struggled with most rice and out of all of them, Basmati rice seems to be the best for me. Otherwise I search the supermarkets for the konjak root turned into rice shape so that I can feel that I am having rice, but without the 5 hour spike up into the ‘high’ domain. I generally use the noodle version, as they’re easier to come by.

2 Likes