Canadian / U.S. OmniPod Swap Test!

This was brought up previously. Some discussion on the price difference between the omnipod PDM in the U.S. (available in the U.S. for $200-$300 direct from Insulet, with some haggling) versus up to $6,000 in Canada depending on your province. The Canadian group that supplies omnipod products is a 3rd party distributor.

So I brought up the idea that a Canadian could use a U.S. PDM. The only difference would be the BG meter would have units in mg/dL versus mmol/L.

Despite discussions with Insulet, who say it won’t work, and who say Canadians can’t use U.S. pods or PDM and vice versa. I doubted what they were telling me! I really didn’t think they would manufacture the pods differently for Canada!

Of course I never believe what a pump company tells me.

But we didn’t have to just wonder or take their word for it. With people on FUD from Canada and the U.S. willing to swap and test it, we put the theorem to the test.

Here is what we found:
Despite what Insulet tells you, U.S. pods work with a Canadian PDM, and Canadian pods work with a U.S. PDM. Totally interchangeable. Other than the units for the BG meter - mg/dL versus mmol/L - everything else works the same.

So if you are in Canada, and want a spare PDM, you can do it cheaper than $6g.

Thanks to my Canadian counterpart for the experiment! :guinea_pig:

15 Likes

This is an outstanding experiment. Great info.

4 Likes

I just finished my second Canadian pod. It was wonderful. No problems with it, everything worked well. Great BG the whole time.

The only weird thing is that I now have a strange urge to eat bacon, drink Tim Horton’s coffee, and play hockey.
:smiley:
Eh?

3 Likes

Did you also have an urge to learn French after reading the label on the back of the pod?

6 Likes

Don’t forget to eat some poutine! Now that is a diabetic challenge.

2 Likes

Two more Canadian diabetic challenges.
Two Nanaimo bars and a butter tart.
Now isn’t that a beautiful sight?

2 Likes

So true!

You’re lucky to be in Wisconsin where most of the temptation is cheese, which is super bg friendly

@rgcainmd’s favorite!!

1 Like

This makes me want to re-attempt some dairy-free, low-carb Nanaimo bars again this year!!! I found a recipe for dairy-free custard, which was the part that failed before, so I will re-attempt sometime soon.

2 Likes

Oh good, let us know how that comes out!

Cheese curds aren’t really a temptation :slight_smile:

Wish she was here but she’s become a leader in the twitter resistance instead.

1 Like

I remember reading series of threads about low carb Nanaimo bars. Oh, it is the All Day I Dream About Food blog, she cooks gluten-free keto (@Pianoplayer7008, have you checked her out?):

@Jen, if you try any of these, let us know, I have been wanting to try her Nanaimo bar;/tart recipes but I have never pushed the button yet…

Everything I have tried from her blog has worked out and been tasty.

1 Like

“Healthy Nanaimo Bars” is a contradiction in terms. Their sheer unhealthiness is what makes them so enjoyable.

The carb count for the average Nanaimo bar is 35 grams – or multiply the weight in grams by 0.55. So you could eat one for dinner and that qualifies as a moderate carb diet, doesn’t it? … Doesn’t it?

:cricket::cricket::cricket::cricket::cricket::cricket:

I mean, it’s not something you’d do every day. Just, maybe, once in a while. If you have some cheese beforehand, it lessens the spike.

:cricket::cricket::cricket::cricket::cricket::cricket:

Does Uprising Breads in Vancouver still make them? They were the best. Thirty-five years later, I still keep meaning to finding out if they’ll ship me a dozen.

3 Likes

:slight_smile:

Nice trick, thank you!