Busted my Tandem pump

My Tandem Tslim fell out of its belt pouch onto a ceramic tile floor, and froze with an error message that turned out to be a software error. It has one corner bashed in a little where it hit. Called Tandem and we tried to reboot it, but it remained frozen. They sent me a new one overnight. Meantime the old one’s battery ran down, since it was on vibrate and kept vibrating every three minutes. When the vibration ceased and there was only a red light left around the button it rebooted and worked fine until the new one arrived.

Lesson learned, I put a neoprene case on my new Tandem. I think that would have been enough to dampen the shock and keep it from freezing. Like my phone, I find it impossible to use a small slippery item and handle it many times every day and never drop it. But Tandem doesn’t sell a neoprene or silicone case, probably because they enjoy being the smallest pump around and the cover adds bulk. So I had to use one from an old dumb phone that turned out to be the right size. It’s clumsy but works. And I am now using an old belt pouch that accommodates the larger pump.

The old phone was an LG800 candy bar phone from around the turn of the century. Only one of the several cases I had for it worked, the others would have needed rubber bands to hold them in place.

Wish Tandem would make a neoprene case for clumsy people. But I am grateful to them for excellent service and replacing the pump without charge.

They said we could expect to get an email later this month with instructions for the Control-IQ upgrade.

Here’s a photo.

4 Likes

Great news about the customer service. Serious bummer about the pump hitting the floor. That really sucks. Glad you are almost out of the woods. Wonder if you could get a local seamstress to sew you a neoprene case?

2 Likes

Hate it when that happens. I took a swim and sauna with an old Medtronic pump. I didn’t realize it until I heard it give off a pathetic beep of death…lol.

Glad it turned out well for you.

1 Like