Braces for Liam, and what it means for his T1D care

So, Liam has had a lot of teeth issues early on because, quite honestly, he just wasn’t brushing as thoroughly as he should have…and that’s my fault for not monitoring his brushing to ensure he’s doing it thoroughly, flossing and mouth washing. He has quite a bit of space in his mouth from teeth that had to be pulled. He also had a baby tooth that refused to come out right up front on his top teeth and his adult tooth came out causing his teeth in front to be crooked.

Erin took him to the Ortho and they recommended spacers at various spots in his mouth to ensure room is maintained for good adult teeth yet to come out, and they also recommended braces on his front teeth immediately.

Over the past year, Liam has become self conscious about his front teeth and really wanted to get braces, if they were recommended, to fix the crooked teeth up front.

So, today was the day all of this work was completed. I wanted to share a pic of Liam with his braces on. He’s so happy!

But that means he has to stop eating many things he likes…popcorn, chips (especially as school snacks) glucose gummies (we have to revert to only sugar pills until his braces are off). Nothing chewy or hard that could damage or break his braces.

He isn’t happy about that, but understands it’s a short term pain for a long term gain.

12 Likes

Wow, he looks so much older now! :eyes:

5 Likes

I’m tossing orders for him to STOP growing, but he’s just not listening. :smiley: 71 pound bag of potatoes right now.

4 Likes

If you learn how to make those orders stick, please tell the rest of us! We’ve all gone through it (or will eventually) and nothing seems to work…. :upside_down_face: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

So cool! Awesome photo of Liam!!!

2 Likes