Bloody cgm insertions

I’ve finally found the one place that I can stand to wear a Dexcom cgm… on the front of my thigh (thanks @mikep) . The problem, for me, is there are a lot of veins near the surface there and I often see blood oozing out at the insertion sight before I attach the transmitter… if the wire gets bloody on the way in does this cause reliability problems? There have been times I’ve certainly thought it might be the case but it’s hard to be sure… any insights?

@Sam Depends on how much blood you’re talking about, and how it is handled.

If you really have a venous gusher you can forget it, the sensor is toast. But if you get a few drops, all you have to do is wick the blood up as it’s coming out with a qtip or tissue. Keep doing that until the bleeding stops and you’re good to go.

Some of my best sensor sessions have been after these minor bleeders. But I did gave one incident that I had three major bleeders consecutively before I got one to work. I called Dexcom support and they actually sent me out three replacement sensors!

I don’t see how I could have wicked the blood out because it’s underneath the already attached sensor at that point?

Carefully lift the contact tab on the sensor and wick underneath it. Also, there is a small square hole on one end of the sensor housing you can wick through.

Again, be careful with that contact tab. If you pull too hard on it the wire will come out.

I forgot to mention that it helps if you ice the area you’re inserting into prior to inserting. That seems to help the bleeders stay closed.

The thigh didn’t work for me. I had two that were like this and I gave up.
https://forum.fudiabetes.org/t/dexcom-fail/

@sam, I like the title of your post. I kind of imagine an English chap from the East End saying it. “Bloody CGM insertions!”

I was thinking the same exact thing. How do you keep your thighs so soft and smooth? What’s your secret?

The only time I’ve had just totally useless/off sensors (ones that were never stable/had smooth lines and never really came in line with meter readings), I’ve removed them and found dried blood on the wire. Usually there isn’t any. So for me, any visible blood seems to be enough to make it less reliable. I’ve heard this from several other people on the other forum as well.

i had this happen almost every time i attached a new sensor. i spent so much of my time on the phone with Dexcom Tech Support. they always replaced them over night, but i think that they had to have a file on me as thick and long as an elephant’s trunk.

the Ice Trick works very well for me, as does my swimming in a very cold pool. i usually change my pump out just as i get home from the pool every third day. no blood, no pain.