Blood Glucose Readings On My Apple Watch With Miaomiao

When I didn’t think technology could get much better after getting the Freestyle Libre sensor, this has blown my mind!
I did some research into how best to get my blood sugar readings on my Apple Watch and here we have it
If anyone is interested in the process here you go (with Apple Watch):

1. Ordered the Miao Miao (M) reader online, took 12 days to arrive.
  2. In the meantime requested an invite to download the Spike app or tomato app
  3. Once the M arrived I charged it until the green light appeared (took 1 hour)
  4. Used the stickers provided to place the reader on top of my Libre sensor
  5. Followed the set up tutorial on Spike(tomato will be easier) and used the Watch configuration guide.
  6. Covered both with Rocktape.
    My biggest worry was if it would get in the way but I certainly put the M to the test last night with a contemporary dance class, involving a lot of rolling around the floor! I totally forgot it was there.
    I think the developers of this need a medal and a big thanks to everyone who provided advice! To think this is one of the first of it’s kind, who knows what it might be like in a few years time!
    thanks to mytype1.life
3 Likes

Hi Lydiaji
Thank you for your post- I know you made it nearly a year ago, but it is still very relevant and helpful. Please may I ask a question: am I right in thinking that your Miao Miao reads your Freestyle Libre and sends it to your Apple Watch even when your phone is not there, using the Spike App?

My 6 year old daughter was recently diagnosed with T1 diabetes and we are looking at getting the Libre. I’d like to know her blood sugar levels when she’s at school/asleep but am struggling to find out how to do this. If I understand correctly (and please correct me if I am wrong), if she has a Libre, a Miao Miao (will Bubble work?), and a cellular Apple Watch that she always wears, I can then install Spike on her watch and be a follower on my iPhone. That way, I can always see her blood sugar levels and set alarms when she looks like she is going high or low.
Is that right? I wanted to check before buying an Apple watch/Miao Miao etc and then finding it wouldn’t work.
Thank you and hope you are keeping well,
R
:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

So I’m guessing with the Libre 2 we don’t need this anymore?

I am on track to get a Tandem X2 but I want to make sure I’m not missing a better way to go.

Hi R,

I hope you and your daughter are doing great. I just had my 6yo diagnosed with T1 a month ago. I recently bought an apple watch SE cellular last week.

Were you able to find a solution to get glucose readings to the watch independently without a phone?

My son is going back to school in less than a month and I hope I can give readings/alerts to myself and the caregivers.

What have you found that worked so far? Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Don

Its possible that a Bluejay watch would be able to do this.

See this discussion.

@ClaudnDaye has young son, and may have additional ideas.

1 Like

Hi Don

Sorry to hear about your son developing diabetes. My experience is that living with it does get much easier with time- we are at 3 years now since diagnosis and it has much less impact on our day to day life. We even had our pump stop working whilst on holiday in Europe and the pump company (Medtronic), were fantastic and sent us a replacement by courier. During the term time the admin staff at my daughter’s school ring my daughter’s class several times a day to check on her blood glucose.

To answer the question, we didn’t find a solution that used only an Apple Watch. We now use the Guardian CGM and we bought my daughter an Apple SE phone to connect to it, with us following on our phones (it doesn’t mirror on my watch). She carries her phone with her in a bag around her waist. More recently the follower app that we have on our phones has been having problems and so I installed the ‘Guardian Monitor’ app, which does mirror on my Apple Watch.

Which CGM are you using?

My daughter has asked me to add on that her top tip is for the pump bag to be bigger and stiffer for PE, so that it doesn’t bounce up and down.

Yours
Richard

1 Like

We haven’t found a solution that eliminates the phone. Since he loops, Liam has his phone with him all the time, so it’s not been something I’ve investigated much tbh.

2 Likes