Best Book on Women's Health That I've Read So Far

Here’s a review of the best book on women’s health that I’ve read so far (The Menopause Manifesto by Dr. Jen Gunter):

https://www.menopause.org/for-women/book-reviews/i-the-menopause-manifesto-own-your-health-with-facts-and-feminism-i

I can see changes in my hormone swings and my cycle…and I’m still 5-10 years out from menopause, at least. What I’m seeing is typical for my age as far as cycles go…but the hormone variation is making for even more insulin sensitivity to insulin resistance swings…and at odd times and for odd durations.

This book helps bring into focus (for me) that my diabetes-centric focus for my health now needs to shift gears into whole-body-centric focus…especially concerning bone health, cardiovascular health, and balance.

Her book gives the absolute best comprehensive look at all hormone therapy options alongside their potential downfalls, as well as non-hormone therapy options for managing the transition through menopause.

I highly recommend this book for any woman, but especially if you are in your 30’s, 40’s, or 50’s. The rate at which we will experience bone and muscle loss makes it a worthwhile time investment in earlier adulthood to position ourselves for our best golden years.

8 Likes

And I assume it was written for non-D women, right? So helpful for others too?

2 Likes

It’s ironic to me because the best books I’ve ever read for diabetes management were not diabetes related books!

3 Likes

Correct.

It does have helpful information regarding extra considerations if you are diabetic and considering hormone therapy…but that’s just a sidenote.

2 Likes

As a man, married to a woman who is going through or maybe near the end of menopause, I must say that I am awed at the changes that you put up with and thankful that I am a man…much easier to deal with.

3 Likes