Apple Watch OS4 and Dexcom

With watchOS4 the watch now has the Bluetooth functionality to talk to the transmitter just like the iPhone. Hell, even when you go to the Bluetooth settings on the watch it says that it’s search for “Health Devices”

1 Like

agreed I just don’t get it and I cannot seem to get a straight answer out of anyone at Dexcom.

1 Like

And god luck getting Apple to answer anything either. They’re a total black hole. I can’t even get an answer why they don’t have a calculator on the iPad

Kevin Lynch, VP Technology at Apple actually responded to me on LinkedIn. Was shocked to say the least.

2 Likes

He must know who you are…

1 Like

LMAO. @Michel is the big dog here.

1 Like

5 Likes

I just installed WatchOS 4.1 and it solved an issue I was having with 4.0. My watch was not updating the dexcom complication very often. It was very stale often. I would have to start the dexcom app on the watch to update the value.

It seems that 4.1 has solved that issue for me. Not sure if anyone else was having this issue or not.

5 Likes

Downloading now.

I really want the new AW, but I don’t want to get until the transmitter can talk directly to the watch. Come on Dexcom!!!

5 Likes

I have been having this VERY issue, and it’s been so frustrating! Sometimes my watch will be an hour or more behind until I refresh the reading, which seems like an easy thing, but not having had to do that prior to the update, it is an additional step that has really affected my ability to make snap bg decisions. Anyone else been having this issue? Like @mikep, I’m also downloading now to see if it helps.

1 Like

@Anthony!! It’s only been an hour or so, but for the first time in almost a month, the watch seems to be working again. No more need to refresh to obtain a reading! No more waiting for all the previous missed readings to load before seeing the latest number. Tomorrow morning will be a more definitive test, but for now, I’m hopeful. Thank you for pointing this out!

3 Likes

Glad I could help :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have only one word for you to make your wish come true @mikep: xDRIP+

2 Likes

Any updates on this? I just got an apple watch and all the posts I see about a possible direct connection to the dexcom are from 2017. Did they just decide not to do it or am I not finding the most up-to-date conversations?

Thanks!
Tyler

1 Like

I believe it is still vaporware. Unfortunately…

Agreed. Hoping things change with G6 but we shall see.

I’m crossing my fingers that Dexcom was just waiting for watchOS 5 to ship, which should happen this month.

1 Like

New Apple watches are expected to be announced a few hours from now… you might want to prepare to take advantage of Apple’s return policy…

1 Like

According to this Diatribe article, direct Apple Watch communication is not going to happen this year:

Dexcom continues to work on direct-to-Apple Watch CGM transmission (“primary display”), which as of July was expected to launch sometime next year (2019)

3 Likes