Apparently I Barf Now

IDK if this is a Diabetes thing or not, but 2x now in the last 2 months I’ve randomly gotten so nauseated after eating, then the sweats, then puked up my food. Totally fine after. This happened yesterday on a date (so embarrassing). I was totally fine, then started feeling uncomfortably full (yet all I had was a house salad with some chicken), started feeling nauseated, then excused myself from the table and got some fresh air only to start barfing. 3x later and in front of my date, I was absolutely fine. Went back, finished up paying and went on with the night. Totally fine today.

I’m curious if this could be some kind of Diabetes thing?? Like a new complication?? I have no clue what’s going on with me. I’ve had a lot of health tests done of late because I was thinking of going the donner route for pregnancy due to my singleness but everything is normal.

2 Likes

Have you tested for Celiac Disease lately?

5 Likes

Woah, I haven’t even considered this, but I’ll ask my Doc about getting tested! I have a lot of the symptoms…

3 Likes

My recollection is there is a routine blood test for this. It’s something that is more and more routinely given to diabetics.

I was tested as one of a battery of tests I remembering being given during a routine physical a few years ago. My result was negative. But since I’m the sort of person who adds extra gluten when I make bread (in my bread machine), I wasn’t really expecting any other result. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

It’s a test that Endos run regularly on T1Ds (or should)…every 6 months or a year. If they don’t, every diabetic should get it added just in case, since diabetics have a higher rate of celiac disease (there is a link between T1D and Celiac as described below:

Article found here.

3 Likes

Wow, that sounds awful. If you do get diagnosed with celiac, then I am sorry, you don’t need anything additional to T1, but as @ClaudnDaye points out there is a higher risk for multiple auto-immune diseases when you are T1. We have a close friend that is a celiac, and I would need more than my hands and toes to count the number of times we have arrived at a restaurant with gluten free offerings to find out that they are out of all the gluten free pizza crusts, or buns etc., because being gluten free is an unfortunate fad. Also, congrats on having a date that handles the roller coaster that sounds like a good thing to find out early.

3 Likes

The uncomfortably full thing and the nausea can also be a sign of gastroparesis. In any case I’d bring it up to your endo and ask them to run some tests.

5 Likes

Interesting… I’ll ask him if he’s tested me before.

1 Like

Ugggh that was one thing on my mind and freaking me out…

1 Like

Gastroparesis, celiac, or even something you are allergic to or just can’t digest certain foods well. It could be a specific ingredient in that particular dish and that’s sometimes hard to figure out. But also are you on any medications? Because Metformin and I think a few others can cause nausea and if you don’t time it right maybe only sometimes?

1 Like

First time was Kraft dinner, last night it was a chicken salad :woman_shrugging:t3:

I hope it’s not gasteroperosis :frowning:

I am not on any medications other than insulin!

1 Like

If it is gastroparesis, you will probably get nauseated more often. But usually you would also notice carbs not always digesting very fast sometimes. I’m not familiar with all the symptoms, my dog had gastroparesis and it could play havoc with her Bg levels. Food would not always move fast through her system well. But food ingredients and intolerance’s can be very hidden sometimes.

2 Likes

@PP777 I will say that despite the celiac and gastro being possible, there is also the chance this is some kind of malingering food poisoning. I got a Campylobacter jejuni infection when I went to India once, and it was just hanging out in my gut for a few months after I returned. I had no acute phase of fever, cramping or relentless nausea that is typical of food poisoning, just some nausea and bloating that never really went away.
In any case I’d get it checked out for sure.

5 Likes

It is crazy when one of the best possible outcomes is I have been food poisoned.

6 Likes

Well, it happened again last night, but this time a few hours after eating, so nothing came up just lovely dry heaving.

I have a doctors appointment tomorrow with my GP, and my Endo already added the celiac test to my lab req for my appointment with him, but that’s not till Jan so maybe I’ll go sooner and then again closer to the appointment.

Well f?$&.

3 Likes

Will your doctor prescribe something to help you with that? Sure hope so!

2 Likes

My GP was away, but her coverage wasn’t too concerned but asked me to keep monitoring. She was more concerned about my lingering sinus infection, so I’m going back on antibiotics now, even stronger. Also, have to keep using the steroid spray for another month. I do have my celiac added to my bloodwork for Jan, so I’ll see how things go…

2 Likes

I didn’t catch the antibiotic part of the issue previously. Is it possible your reacting the those rather than the food? I note that many antibiotics carry the warning to only take “with food.”

2 Likes

I was on them for a week but the 3x barf events each took place outside that week. I am still sick, so I’m starting back up on stronger ones. Still, the last barf was about a week and a half post stopping the first batch of antibiotics so maybe residual? Time will tell…

1 Like