What were your earliest symptoms if you were later diagnosed with LADA?

my mother was diagnosed with type 2, but became fully insulin dependent within 5 years, which can be i believe a characteristic of LADA. i seem to be very insulin sensitive based on fasting insulin and fasting glucose scores, but my post prandial readings which have been as high as 200 at the one hour mark, suggest i have a problem with glucose regulation. what were your earliest signs of a problem before you were officially diagnosed with lada?

1 Like

Have you had a good selection of antibody tests run?

1 Like

no. right now low carb is helping me keep me a1c at 5.1. i know that getting a diagnosis is crucial for insurance purposes. i monitor myself daily. if what i am doing now starts to go south, i will move quickly.

Based on your other posts, you seem willing to run labwork. Which I totally agree with. I love labwork.
lol

I hate guessing in the dark so the more objective information the better IMHO.

I would suggest to run the standard antibody tests for T1, Celiac and Thyroid. Hit them all. No downside. See what comes back. Either way it is good information. Let me know if you need the list.

You mentioned you test at Quest - are you familiar with the “copy to” that you fill out at the PSC so as to get a copy of the lab results mailed directly to your house from Quest (in addition to your ordering Doc getting a copy faster either electronically or via fax if necessary).

(Plus Quest has the whole online portal thing going on now but I do like paper…)

1 Like

Mine included having trouble thinking clearly, peeing a bit more than usual, and fatigue. Things progressed rapidly, I realize in hindsight, to thirst (thought it was the extra hot summer), vision distortion, and eventually weight loss. DKA at its finest!

1 Like

i have everything on computer from quest, which is nice because they have graphs plotting your results over time. i may be able to get these tests at my next physical since my GP is fairly flexible. i saw an endocrinologist before and they were not concerned about me at all.

1 Like

Yeah - I had forgotten about the Quest Diagnostics online portal. I believe they now offer test results going back to 2010.

That certainly gives you the best approach for your lab results.

I am not positive but I don’t think our state allows (or at least has some restrictions) this on pediatric (under 18 years of age) test results. I had tried to get the online portal access and couldn’t get it to work. I had looked into it and pretty sure it was not a failure of Quest but rather a state regulatory issue in regards to pediatrics. So I just stick with the “copy to” which I request at each blood draw at the Quest PSC and we get a paper copy of the lab results sent directly to us from Quest.

I like seeing the results (with reference range) directly from the lab myself (however I get the info). I certainly hear what the doctor has to say but “seeing is believing” and I want to minimize chances for misinformation from excessive relay of data points.

2 Likes

Yeah you have to love the “pediatric loophole” issues. While we don’t use Quest, our insurer provides a really nice online portal that lets you renew your prescriptions very easily.

However, in their system our teen is too old to let his parents view his prescriptions, but he is too young to view them himself. So they have rendered their helpful system, stupidly (IMHO) unhelpful. Especially with all the scrips you have to keep up with as a T1 parent.

So we just use the old standby, excel.

@Sam, what were your early symptoms again?

10 posts were split to a new topic: State Privacy Rules and Access to Minors Medical Information

Information split since it seemed like a mismatch to the OPs topic.

1 Like