Am I Too Insulated?

I am currently in an argument on another unrelated site about drug abuse that contained this quote from an NIDH article:

For instance, Type I Diabetics fail to take medication as prescribed or don’t follow diet and exercise recommendations at a rate of 30-50% according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse.

NIDA. (2018, January 17). Principles of Drug Addiction Treatment: A Research-Based Guide (Third Edition). Retrieved from https://www.drugabuse.gov/p… on 2018, June 22

RelapseRates

I took offense to this " relapse" statistic. As far as I’m concerned a T1 cannot relapse because they can never be cured. The rest is just degree of control for various reasons. I feel that the NIDH article is misleading and rife with misunderstanding.

Am I being too sensitive or do I have a point? I mean, how many of us take our meds exactly as prescribed? And how many of us follow diet and exercise recommendations as prescribed.

9 Likes

I can’t imagine using the term relapse when referring to type 1 diabetes. I don’t know why this is in a drug addiction article.

2 Likes

Oh, for the love! Relapse? As if there is an addiction component to insulin use (or non-use).

On a personal note, really good to see you @docslotnick.

2 Likes

What does “relapse” even mean in terms of Type 1, hypertension, or asthma?

I have all three of those. I take what’s prescribed to me. However, in the case of insulin exact doses are not prescribed, and I think any system that prescribed exact doses and expects a patient to stick to them at all times is seriously flawed.

There are people who skip insulin on purpose for various reasons and end up in DKA and the like. But 30-50% seems to encompass far more than just that group.

3 Likes

@Irish Great to see you! I hope things have settled down for you and you can start worrying about diabetes again!

1 Like

How can they, or better yet, how dare them to compare Type one to drug addiction. WTF, why is diabetes a part of the discussion on addiction. Ok maybe some PWD are non-compliant (I hate that term) but I have not yet met a diabetic that is abusing diabetic drugs.

What do they think we are, do they think we are all a bunch of insulin junkies, insulin dependent T2s like myself included.

3 Likes

@docslotnick I’m right there with you sir!

I only have a second to comment, but if I said what I first thought I would probably be banned for life. Here it goes, I said “are you F*ng kidding me”? :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

6 Likes

For me to “relapse”, doesn’t that mean some medical provider would have to be able to competently manage my condition for me? That has yet to happen…

What a bunch of ■■■■■■■ bullshit. (Testing filters.)

3 Likes

Good looooooord. Ack.

If most of us on this site followed directions as prescribed I am sure most of us would be worse off - with a poorer quality of life, feeling sick, and experiencing general unhappiness…

3 Likes

I found the publication, which said this.

Relapse in this chart refers to patients who experience recurrence of symptoms that requires additional medical care. The recurrence rates are similar across these chronic illnesses, underscoring that drug use disorders should be treated like other chronic conditions; symptom recurrence serves as a trigger for renewed intervention.

2 Likes

but this still makes no sense for Type 1 Diabetes…the “recurrence” rate is 100%???

2 Likes

I agree, but just shows what they were thinking.

2 Likes

I am wondering if this has to do with people who do not follow basic diabetes care (ie no BG checks, not giving insulin after meals, etc) and are frequently hospitalized with dangerously high BG/ are in DKA.
I think there are more people than we would like to realize that do not provide basic diabetes care for themselves or their loved ones.
Or I might be totally off. Data and statistics can be manipulated.

1 Like

@beth Sure, I think it’s that. But 30-50%? If so there would not be so many relapses as there would be deaths. As T1 you can’t expect to not take insulin and remain alive.

Agreed. You need insulin to live. Could this also account for people who do not take enough insulin? Do you know if this study was just with the US or does it include other countries?
Is it 30-50% of those who “lapse” have a “relapse” ala same people with multiple hospitalizations for the same issue. If one struggles to take care of themselves they will continue to struggle to take care of themselves.