Looking for Supportive Sessions

I need help controlling my blood sugars. I was dxed when I was 2 yrs old, I’m 29, and I’ve been rocky with my A1Cs. I’ve had some good Keto runs lately (7.4 A1C) but now I’m back to the 9s. I’m getting complications and I need some help from fellow diabetics who know how to control themselves. I want to get in the 6s and 5s but I need some guidance. My biggest issue is fear of lows causing me to under-dose or not at all. I’m on Tandem and G6. Can anyone offer some guidance in the form of either a meet up (Southeast Florida area) or a phone call?
I never do this sort of thing, but I figured I’d start here rather than paying big bucks for expensive therapy.
Up to anyone if they would require payment for an informal one-on-one therapy-ish type session.
Thanks!

9 Likes

@T1DNurse, I don’t know if this would qualify as misery loves company or the blind leading the blindor something along those lines, but I get where you are. Especially about the insulin. I had to learn to silence those thoughts—and to do the right amount of insulin. I do that now, and, in fact, am very liberal in my dosing. The craziest thing about it is I’m not sure I’m experiencing more crashes or crazier crashes than the ones I used to have…

I’m a talker. Get me in the phone, and you might find it’s hard getting off, but I’d be happy to talk to you if you’re interested. There are lots of great people on this site, so I won’t hog you, but in case you need someone sooner than you hear back from others, I’m here. Let me know!

Oh! And hang in there. 9s are so close to reasonable you can be geek be there in no time. Not all is lost. :heart:

9 Likes

7 is the goal, and keep in mind less than 30% of type 1s hit the goal…5’s were all fun and games until everyone kept dying …its not golf…7 is fine…just need to lower by 2 points…a Cgm helps, libre with the miao miao 2 is probably the cheapest, but my favorite is still the eversense…

3 Likes

3 months ago I was 8.6 and with a Dexcom G6 I’m now down to 6.9. I’ve quit snacking whenever I want, and been more strict about portion size. I bought a kitchen scale for about $8 and it helps tremendously to actually know what amount of food is how many carbs and then dose the right amount of insulin.

The biggest help has been learning about pre-bolusing, I take my Humalog and then wait about 20 minutes before eating. That prevents high glucose peaks after eating.

I’ve learned these simple things with help from the good folks on this forum and a few simple things have made a big difference.

I ask a lot of questions and everyone here is super helpful.

You can do it!

11 Likes

@T1DNurse I think we’ve all been where you’re at now. :slightly_smiling_face:

For me, the two things I concentrated on were

1/ adequate time for pre-bolusing (15-60 minutes depending on the food type)
2/ maintaining a level BG all night while sleeping

A couple of years ago I had an average A1C of high 6’s- low 7’s. Ok to be sure, but I’ve got a number of complications (56 yrs T1)

Now my A1C’s are non diabetic range (the last 5 have ranged from 4.6 - 5.1). It’s a process but with a CGM and analog insulin(s) it’s easier to achieve than you might think. :grinning:

3 Likes

Not being a diabetic myself, I am somewhat limited in my advice. I am however helping coach my son who has the same powerful combo, Tandem and G6. Have you downloaded and are you using Basal IQ. There is no piece of tech that I have seen that works as well as that to keep my son skipping along at 70-80 without going any lower thanks to Basal IQ. Yes, you may need to learn to trust the tech (do some experiments), but I know you can do this.

4 Likes

I’ll do whatever I can to help you. If you want to talk, we can do that.

4 Likes

Not sure how the message board works for conversations but I am happy to share some of my approaches. First priorities are to getting good sleep, having quality food, and avoiding certain items such as high fructose corn syrup or fast foods, and to minimize bread/starches (doesn’t work for me although some may differ). I usually stock up on good proteins and veggies at costco and try not to go too long without eating because even after a few hours as the body being hungry can signal cortisol to be released that can spike numbers. I usually have to dose a bit more in the morning too to account for hormonal changes. I think too that when diabetes is taught it’s somewhat formulaic whereas in real life a blood sugar can go up for no reason. I’ve found ordering a bunch of test strips (contour next) to be helpful as well since the dexcom can lag (in case it doesn’t seem quite right).

When treating lows I try to not overdo it. Half a banana to a banana usually works well or if I think I have extra insulin running Lara bars seem to last a bit longer and be pretty smooth on the number.

Walking and hiking has been really helpful too.

2 Likes