Afrezza fails and recoveries

I have this problem even without using Afrezza… I can drop high or low so quickly that even though my Dex alerts are set tight (75-125) I can be way out of range by the time my Dex alerts. That’s partly why I set my range so narrow, because when it was set to my actual target range, I’d get alerted way too late. With it set to a more narrow range i can test or treat when I get an alert and have a better chance of steering things back into my target.

Yeah I hear what you’re saying. I may experiment more with that… though I do think the effect is more profound with afrezza, because although the cgm lags about 20 minutes, afrezza turns on and off essentially instantly, the ramping up and pittering out of liquid insulin is far closer to the cgms tracking ability… this isn’t a disadvantage of afrezza I wouldn’t say, just an element to be aware of

2 Likes

I just experienced the issue you’ve both explained so well. The day before Thanksgiving we had Thai food. I pre bolused what I thought was a reasonable amount and took an 8 unit Afrezza when I saw the first BG increase. This looked good for the first hour. Then, like you explained, things changed and quickly. I was a long night. Luckily it all evened out by morning… I made sure to bolus early and adequately for turkey day festivities.

1 Like

And afrezza triumphs. Subway 6” Rueben sandwich meet 8u afrezza snorted as soon as done eating it.

7 Likes