Abbott Freestyle Libre now approved in the US

Yeah I forgot about the transmitter.

I know you don’t need a receiver.

xDrip+ works with several Freestyle Libre reader devices (Blucon, Limmitter, Sony SW3 with NFC) and provides alarms - so you can hack something together to make it CGM like.

3 Likes

True! That one’s a real DIY though, including building the circuit etc. I actually looked into his reference design. There were a couple of issues that were not 100% certain of outcome I thought. I did think of it.

I did not investigate this one in depth. One thing that worried me was that some were reporting less than 100% reliability for the whole system.

I have to say, while the Libre is interesting, it does not interest me becasue the Dexcom G5 does everything a CGM should without me having to wear an armband to hold a device on top of a G5.

The only plus I see with the Libre is the fact that you do not have to calibrate it.

Like it has been pointed our before, the Libre does not have the transmitter cost that the dexcom has; however, I am using xDrip+ and my transmitter is still running (day 179) and technically I could swap out the batteries. My insurance covers the transmitters so I actually would actually just get a new transmitter and not swap batteries.

I am hoping eventually Dexcom will come pre-calibrated but I am not holding my breath.

3 Likes

I’m sorry I may have missed this but how often does Libre measure blood glucose? Dex does every 5 minutes.

If I recall, Dexcom was/is going to come out with a “no calibration required” sensor after the G6 launch however the “no calibration” sensor is not intended (at least the current thinking) for dosing (ie - insulin therapy) but rather for the non-insulin population who still would benefit from knowing their BG. The cost on this “no calibration” sensor/device was also supposed to be lower than Dexcom’s current products.

Is it just an option to calibrate, instead of a requirement?

Seems like no calibration is not a plus. CGM is frequently far off for me. Not calibrating would make it even worse.

Only if you checked. If you believe anything it says then you might consider it 100% accurate.

Hey - just throw that meter away !!!

:smiling_imp:

3 Likes

The sensor takes a reading every minute, but only stores the last 8 hours worth of readings. When you do a scan it will give you the last 8 hours or to the most recent scan if it’s within 8 hours (if you use the Freestyle reader, that doesn’t seem to be the case with third party readers which only give you the reading at that point in time).

3 Likes

I think it’s actually every minute?

3 Likes

Market capitalization change from market close of Wednesday, Sept 27 to market open of Thursday, Sept 28:
Dexcom - Down $1.69 B
Abbott - Up $4.52 B

Net sum - Up $2.83 B. This was the number that I found to be particularly interesting.

2 Likes

So there is no high or low warning? You have to scan it to see if you are low? What about when you are sleeping? No trends unless you scan it?

To all Libre users/plan to give it a try - I apologize, I’m not being critical because YDMV, just curious of the differences between this and Dex.

2 Likes

It definitely does not have alarm features. This is actually listed specifically in the FDA notice. As stated previously, a DIY enhancement could add features it doesn’t come with but as to “out of the box”…

“Risks associated with use of the system may include hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia in cases where information provided by the device is inaccurate and used to make treatment decisions, as well as mild skin irritations around the insertion site. It does not provide real-time alerts or alarms in the absence of a user-initiated action; for example, it cannot alert users to low blood glucose levels while they are asleep.”

2 Likes

I don’t think you can really compare it to Dex.

3 Likes

Correct @Bradford doesn’t seem that way which is why I think it’s just a knee jerk market reaction as it relates to Dex stock hit.

They are similar but very different in may respects.

4 Likes

I don’t think you are being critical. It’s the same thing I was wondering. I really was wondering why people would choose it over a Dex because of some of these features not being available. Somebody mentioned price and prescription coverage. But anyway, I don’t think that is a bad thing to ask.

On a side note, our very own mermaid, @daisymae used it a while ago.
freestyle-libre-pro-is-it-really-waterproof

5 Likes

To me, it seems like it would be ideal for someone who wants to monitor BG levels, but doesn’t need as close monitoring or the alarms, like someone with type 2 controlled through diet and/or meds, but not insulin. That or people who can’t get access to a Dex for whatever reason (like their insurance is being dumb and they want to try something else until it’s straightened out…I wouldn’t know anyone like that, though :wink:).

3 Likes

:smiley:

5 Likes

YES! I think this is something that makes sense for a T2. Could totally see my dad using something like this. But NOT my kid. NO WAY!!! No alarms is a total non-starter if you’re an insulin-dependent T1.

4 Likes

:grin: @Eric

Exactly. One of the things I’m looking forward to when I finally get a Dex is not worrying about going low unnoticed while I sleep.

3 Likes