Freestyle libre 2 approved in UK

Hey,

Check this out:

Abbott.

I suspect they incorporated a miaomiao or blucon type device in order to provide alarms?

2 Likes

Very interesting. Thanks.

Let’s see how long it takes to get in U.S., and competes with Dexcom 6.

And into Canada. With alarms, I could easily decamp from Dexcom, given the cost difference. Depends what CGMs the Omnipod Dash will communicate with.

3 Likes

Well well, that is the best news i’ve heard all year!!! Now, just need to wait at least a year for it to be released in Canada, but nonetheless, it’ll be a definite plus plus!!!

Now December and no news of Libre 2 being delivered.

The original announcement said 1st released in Germany late summer and then rolled out across the rest of Europe.

As far as I am aware Libre 2 just has alarms which are not loud. Probably one high and one low preset and not adjustable.
Not clear if we will need new readers
same size and price as existing Libre.
No smartphone app but reader uploads to Libre L:ink.
Worrying tales that xdrip+ and Spike will not be able to read it
If anyone knows more than this please update me.

1 Like

Tandem announced they will be integrating with the Libre.

A reasonable assumption is the integration will specifically be with the Abbott FreeStyle Libre 2 with an iCGM designation. The Libre 2 specifically included the request for iCGM designation when Abbott submitted it to the FDA.

The special controls for ACE pumps allow for reliable and secure communication with compatible external devices like Abbott’s next generation FreeStyle Libre system, which would give people with diabetes the ability to select tools and tailor their diabetes management to best meet their needs. Abbott and Tandem are currently in discussions regarding a final agreement for the technical implementation of device integration and associated commercial support activities.

3 Likes

This is fantastic news! I love the Libre other than the fact that it doesn’t give live readings. My understanding is that the Libre 2 also doesn’t give live readings - just live alarms, but still requires scanning to obtain the actual reading. So it’ll be interesting to see exactly how it’s integrated with the Tandem pumps.

I just walked into the pharmacy today and bought an extra sensor without a prescription. I love that convenience compared to the Dexcom (needing to order by phone and wait for it to be shipped).

Agreed, and I actually like the sensor profile way better and think it is way more durable and reliable than Dexcom. I never use tape or anything and never have a problem getting to 2 weeks. I also never get ??? like I would all the time with Dexcom. The alarms would really help with nights, my control overnight has really suffered without alarms if I eat anything remotely interesting for dinner!

@Scotteric, I agree with everything you say. I much prefer the sensor shape to the Dexcom sensor shape, and I don’t feel the Libre sensor insertion at all compared to Dexcom (G4/G5) where I could often feel it and it would sometimes hurt. The sensor stays on for two weeks and I’ve never had to add extra tape. I’ve never had ??? or any gaps in data except for the odd time I’ve gone more than eight hours without scanning. And I actually prefer no alarms during the day. I can still keep a very close eye on my blood sugar (as the Libre seems to update more often than the Dexcom) and I know that an alarm isn’t randomly going to go off at some inopportune time. I would like alarms at night, however.