Freestyle Libre 3

It looks like the third generation of the Libre was just approved:

Now it is an actual CGM!

7 Likes

In the Netherlands we don’t even have the FSL 2 yet. I wonder what Abbott’s plans with the Freestyle Libre 3 are.

1 Like

Looks awesomely small.

It does! Kind of makes me jealous that Samson can’t get it ,although I know they don’t have easy follow options like the Dexcom does, which is a nonstarter for us.

1 Like

@Boerenkool, it has been a slow rollout of the Libre 2, so Abbott are really getting ahead of themselves with the Libre 3. Practically, the Libre 2 has been available in Sweden for a few months, and I just got it 3 weeks ago. Let’s hope for a faster rollout of the Libre 3.

@TiaG, I guess they haven’t considered the follow function as important with the Libre since it hasn’t been a real-time CGM. Perhaps they will reconsider and improve the follow function when the Libre 3 gains traction.

3 Likes

I suspect that in my country it may have something to do with insurance as well. Flash Glucose Monitoring is covered by insurance, but Continuous Glucose Monitoring isn’t. As long as the government doesn’t decide to cover CGMs too, it may not be worthwhile for Abbott to introduce the FSL 2 or 3. The government is very slow with these things. The decision to cover FGMs was made less than a year ago.

1 Like

Dexcom better get their act together. Unfortunately the Libre doesn’t integrate with any pumps right so kinda limits it. Small as it is though, I’d switch in a heartbeat. Love the competition, good to see. Thank fully it’s not a Medtronic monopoly! I love their old pumps though.

3 Likes

Dexcom is delayed at least 6 months on the G7, and it will be a little bigger than the Libre 3, but competitively sized. Hopefully it arrives in Q2 of 2021.

2 Likes

How in the heck do you apply that thing to the back of your upper arm? Asking for an uncoordinated friend…LOL

1 Like

I only do deltoids for my Dexcom. Rotate sides. My sleeves cover it up and I rarely have any issues.

1 Like

It’s actually very easy. You just keep the arm horizontal and press the spring-loaded applicator against the skin, pointing straight up.

1 Like

SWEET… ahh! I mean YAHOO!!

1 Like