A warning about the Contour meters "Second-Chance"

I posted in another thread that second chance is inaccurate for me too.

It always reads lower for me.

Thanks. Glad to get some feedback on it.

Can you find the thread and reference it?

Here was the post - I didnā€™t say much - but @mike_g also mentions a similar issue with a ā€œsecond chanceā€ on a relion meter.

Moral of the story - if you want accuracy you need to use the first drop of blood. If you donā€™t care it you are +/- 18 mg/dl (1 mmol/l) then go ahead and use the second chance thing.

EDIT: ok - second moral - always trust your gut feeling :smile:

1 Like

I did five tests in a row. Two or three were second chance (unfortunately did not keep track). The others were regular tests: 6.6, 6.7, 6.8, 6.9, 6.4. Seems accurate enough for me, at least in a good blood sugar range.

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl:

Thatā€™s okay. My fingers canā€™t hear you. They lost touch with the outside world long ago. :grin:

:woman_facepalming:

HA! Coming from you @Eric?!?!? Hahahahaha.

2 Likes

So I AM doing my hip homework and playing with my diabetes toys, tooā€¦

4 ā€œsecond-chance testsā€ up against 4 ReliOn tests. In the first 3 tests I waited 30 seconds between adding the first bit of blood and adding the remainder:

#1 Contour: 77
Relion: 63

#2 Contour: 73
Relion: 64

#3 Contour: 67
Relion: 65

The last test I waited 55 seconds before adding the remainder:

#4 Contour: 83
Relion: 63

I was wondering whether or not the amount of time passed between starting the test and finishing the test could affect the reading.

So IF how long it takes you to get the rest of that blood has any affect on the reading, then getting the full amount of blood quickly should mean still getting a good readingā€¦ right? So I did two more testsā€¦ One where I compared the Contour ā€œsecond-chanceā€ against the Relion but with an IMMEDIATE addition of blood,

#5 Contour: 70
Relion: 64

and the other with just a regular Contour finger stick, no ā€œsecond-chanceā€, against the Relion. Kind of a control test if you willā€¦

#6 Contour: 72
Relion: 62

IN CONCLUSION, my ReliOn is a badass. And I told you so. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

:smiley:

3 Likes