Meter Accuracy - Did your meter pass the "test"?

Link to the data:

https://www.diabetestechnology.org/surveillance.shtml

2 Likes

Whoops, mine failed (Walmart relion prime - still using the cheapo I bought when I decided to start checking my BG on my own). At least it’s close…

1 Like

@Chris, these are two excellent links!

I am still going through the numbers. I must say, though, that my conclusions are not quite as dark as Diatribe’s. It appears to me that many of the mainstream meters, while not passing test, did fairly well.

I will comment further once I have had to chance to go thoroughly through all the numbers.

I use the Contour Next USB (and have a Contour Next and Contour Next One) as backups. So yes, it did. I’ve used this meter for years and find it extremely accurate. I also love that it allows me a second chance to fill the strip if I don’t get enough blood on it the first time (and it’s a 30-second window, so enough time to re-prick your finger if you have to).

4 Likes

Oh, wow, I might need to try that one! I have some reluctant bleeder fingers.

That is a nice feature. FreeStyle Lite also does that. You can just keep dabbing blood on there until it gets enough. If you don’t get enough after a minute, it will timeout on you.

1 Like

This isn’t not the first time I’ve seen the CVS Advanced appear out of nowhere as the dark horse… I intend to look into it more

1 Like

We use the OneTouch Ultra 2 which is the one and only choice we have with our insurance provider. While it didn’t make the grade, it does reasonably well, and since the copay is so low and we combine it with out CGM, the system works for us. Hopefully our insurance provider will reconsider their one and only choice soon.

1 Like

Really? The plans I’ve had (several) all allowed for only one touch but allowed the verio when it became available

Yeah, it is system-wide for our provider. No choice, but on the other hand we get 450 test strips for $10, so hard to argue.

1 Like

In my experience that’s about what one touch ultra are worth

1 Like

Won’t argue with you there.

I actually have zero complaints about the One Touch. I really think they are good. The Contour Next just sound better.

We don’t have accuracy complaints, it works. But we came from a meter that had a smaller sample size, and a higher level of accuracy which we really liked, and so it was hard to adjust. In the overall scheme of things, the One Touch meter works well enough for us, so I won’t seek a change on our own.

1 Like

i’m on Medicare and the only meters and strips that they provide for are One Touch products. i have tried about every One Touch meter out there. i hated the Verio; i found that it consistently read HIGHer and was less accurate than any of my other meters, and i would end up over-bolusing for my meals. there were also a few (can’t remember their names right now) from One Touch that were constantly reading LOW and then i would not bolus enough for my meals. i did like, however, the ONE TOUCH ULTRA and the One Touch Ultra 2. i felt that they were very accurate and lined up well with my A1cs. but now i am using the Bayer Contour Next One and ordering strips on Amazon for just pennies ( Medicare pays 100% for 300 ONE TOUCH strips per month, but i test much more than 10 times per day). i am LOVING it.

PS: i do not have a CGM, which is partly why i test so frequently. (and this is by my own choice, not b/c of insurance issues)

4 Likes