A new take on Type 2 from a correlational study:

Interesting article but do take note of the last paragraph:

“However, they note that the causality may lie in either direction. It may be that people experiencing the early symptoms of an impaired glucose metabolism — including fatigue and a general sense of unwellness — may feel less motivated to go out, participate in social activities, and keep in touch with their friends and acquaintances.”

1 Like

Funny, I thought exactly the same thing as I was reading, then reached the last paragraph and saw it written :slight_smile: Still an interesting perspective.

1 Like

I find interesting the assertion that men living alone had much higher rates of diabetes, the same was not found to be true in women living alone. I wonder if the study took into account this fact:

I’m pretty sure that if I were forced to live alone my diet would disintegrate into something less than desirable.

1 Like

Hold up…

So you’re saying this formula isn’t correct???

2 Likes

It worked for me right up until it didn’t

3 Likes

Works for me.

2 Likes

I’ve always eaten whatever I want, as much as I want, but I’ve also always been very active. 11 years in the Army running every day, and since then Muay Thai and BJJ

1 Like

Hey, when I was a teenager I would regularly get kicked out of smorgasbord restaurants for going back too many times. I would also sit on the couch on Sunday with a half gallon of ice cream and watch a football game. Breakfast would often be a loaf of bread and a stick of butter. Sure I was super active, but I still ate way more than your average teenage boy. I also didn’t get fat.

But maybe that’s why I got diabetes when I was 19😜

2 Likes

Nah, if that were the case, myself and my 8 siblings would certainly have it. I have always, and I still, eat in large quantities. When I go to a buffet style restaurant, I amaze my family – I can easily eat 10 plates full. My 300 lb, 6 ft, 5 in., brother-in-law just sits and watches in amazement. I’m 200 lb, but I’ve been 200 lb since 17. My entire time in the Army I was “taped” because I didn’t fit into the “standards”, but they’d always kick me out of the place they taped all the overweight folks because I was always just short (5’7") and buff. I ran a mile in just over 6 min which was really fast for someone as short as I am.

I cut trees with my dad, lived on a farm and did a lot of belling hay and lifting heavy logs and my brothers and I just got strong from all that work as kids.

3 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: How to help prediabetic friend with poor exercise habit

OOPS! Sorry… missed how old thread id… d’oh!

i hear ya…I’ve taller than you but larger frame and broad shoulders. My idea weight is about 215-220. Charts simply can’t apply to outliers like you & I. But ur not alone!