Will Ultrasound ruin my G6 transmitter?

I have to have an abdominal ultrasound on Monday, and the testing facility could not tell me if it would affect my G6 transmitter. I have the sensor inserted on my upper stomach area above the waistline. This one is brand new and I don’t want it ruined. Does anyone have experience with this?

3 Likes

Dexcom hasn’t tested this, but I suspect ultrasound won’t affect your sensor or transmitter. Ultrasound is quite harmless in general. Ultrasound doesn’t make use of powerful magnetic fields that would damage the electronics, like MRI, or harmful ionizing radiation, like X-ray/CT. If they don’t need you to take off the sensor to image the organs in that area, I think you’ll be fine.

4 Likes

I had ultra sound after kidney stone, and had dexcom sensor+transmitter on with no problems.

3 Likes

@Patty:

I agree with @Boerenkool. Ultrasound is non-ionizing and should not interfere with your transmitter and sensor. The only effect it will have is that the sensor becomes an area where they cannot place the probe. However, even if they want to image directly underneath the sensor, they should be able to place the probe close to the sensor and angle it so that it is pointing underneath the sensor. They WILL use ultrasonic “jelly” on your abdomen to allow the ultrasound to couple to your skin. It may get the sensor adhesive patch a bit damp, but it is (as I recall) water soluble and should not affect your sensor any more than showering with a sensor on even if they use a lot of it. Patting the area with a paper towel or Kleenex after the test should be all you need.

Good luck.

John

2 Likes

I’ve had ultrasound, multiple x-rays of my back, and a CAT scan while wearing the G6 on my belly. Never an issue.

1 Like

Sounds like your G6 did fine through all the scans, hopefully you did as well.

Back surgery, L4-L5 fusion, was no fun at all. It hurt like hell for a week. But I am glad I did it. I am walking a mile a day now, but in January I dreaded getting out of bed to go to the bathroom.

1 Like

Glad you are one the other side. That is a serious medical issue. 1 mile a day is indeed a great accomplishment.