When your Insulin Pump shows that your Reservoir is at 0

So today I let my reservoir go down to zero, and test out what was left. Prior to test, I got the 2 warnings for Low Res. (Mine is set for 20 units, so Low Res alarm at 20 and 10. Time can be used instead of units, but I prefer units.)

No alarm when it hit 0, but I knew when to expect it.
It didn’t really show 0, just — on status units left, with no bars on the syringe icon on main screen.

So I disconnected and did 3 sets of bolus=3 and observed what came out onto a small plate. Each 3 unit blob on the plate appeared about the same size. Bolus history confirmed 3 sets of 3 units delivered.

Then I tried another 3 unit bolus. it started, but then No delivery alarm appeared and it stopped. A much smaller amount came out compared to the first ones. Bolus history showed .3 units delivered

I tried another bolus, same result, No delivery alarm again, and a tiny bit of insulin came out.
History showed .25 units delivered

One more bolus, and it gave No delivery immediately, and nothing added to bolus history.

So… just under 10 units insulin was available after the Second LowRes alarm, and icon went blank, no units left on status.

fYI…I use MM 523 pump, with 1.8ml reservoirs, average 18-20 units per day.

If really in a pinch, there is still insulin in the tubing. Didn’t test it, but wonder if I had filled reservoir with AIR, inserted back into pump, and then try bolus. Would the air be able to push insulin through ? Would the amount be accurate?

Typically I change my reservoir within 12 hours of the second low res alarm/warning, since I have 10 units showing at that point. (And now I know I have about 10 more). I have on occasion pre-filled a reservoir to take with me when leaving the house, or take insulin bottle and syringes, when not sure how long I will be out or what I may be bolusing for foods.

2 Likes