Missing Insulin - Possibly leak I can't see?

Been pumping for a few months now (maybe longer…time stands still in the D-World to some extent) and, before today, we hadn’t seen the POD reservoir image change from 50+ (the default that the system shows until you hit the 50 unit mark), but today it’s changed and is currently showing only 32 units remaining. See below

The POD is only on day 2, so this is pretty strange. See below - we have pretty much a full day left on this POD.

So, I thought maybe he had just consumed more carbs over the past few days and maybe this accounts for more insulin having been used. So I checked Apple Health and, nope…nothing strange there. See images from the past 3 days, below, on Insulin consumption.

Today:

Yesterday:

And since some hours from the day before yesterday may have been factored in, I’m adding that day also, below:

Day before yesterday:

So, I usually only add enough to hear the beep - which is 85 units, minimum, to activate the POD. So, if my math is correct, even if we include all 3 days above, it’s 85 - 11 (rounded) - 13.5 (rounded) - 11 (rounded), the current reservoir level should be 50 units. Not sure where the other ~ 15 units disappeared too?

only had 1 very brief low yesterday - see graph below:…I would think if there was an internal leak, we’d be seeing a lot more lows. And his skin around the POD isn’t wet at all.

Any ideas on what this may be?

The 50 unit mark is based on plunger position, not actual units left in the pod. It is an estimate.

So there might be a fault with the signal from the pod, basing it on a faulty read on the plunger position.

Where it shows the units left in the pod, it will never be as accurate as your own math. If you know what you have put into it, you can subtract about 7.5 units of deadspace and priming, and that is what you actually have in there.

This thread is extremely detailed, but not very easy to understand. It was kinda tough to explain this all.

The simple guess I have is that there is an issue with that pod’s detection of plunger position. I would not base anything on that 50 unit number they give.

3 Likes

Well, I’m gonna run it till it’s out of insulin either way. lol. We’ll see if it’s truly out or not sometime tomorrow maybe.

Now I want to treat him to a Baskin Robbins massive ice cream just to “get to the bottom of this tootsie roll mystery.” lol

We’ve just never seen anything but “50+” so it was a head scratcher for me. I’ve seen this in the Loopdocs, but never on Liam’s pump yet.

3 Likes

General ballpark rule - whatever you put in the pod when you activate it, like 85 units, you have that amount minus about 7.5 units to work with.

If it is easy to keep track of TDD with Loop, just use the numbers that way instead, and you will have a better idea than the pod’s 50 unit “estimate”.

:+1:

:icecream: All 31 flavors!! :icecream:

:yum:

2 Likes

Yeah, Apple Health shows exact insulin usage used via loop so it was easy enough to retrieve the info.

1 Like

Not sure how it works in the Loop app, but the one problem I had with calculating it all out was the fact that the PDM does not allow you to view it by pod, only by day!

So if you change the pod in the middle of the day, you have to manually figure out how much came out of the old pod versus the new pod, based on the time of the pod swap. That part kinda sucks!

1 Like

You can see it by hour in Apple Health. Graph you can click on and it even shows how much was basal and how much was bolus.

1 Like