When Strangers Mean Well - Aggressive Prayer Offering

@Beacher, Jen is right!

Totally horrible! What the what?!?

I am so sorry for all the unintentioned attention that everyone’s getting past generally curious folks, who I am thankful learn from folks here like DM. We like to educate too.

But praying for people randomly for any reason sounds less reaching for education and more like what @cardamom mentioned. It says to me: you are the other and I will try to bring it back around by interceding for you.

4 Likes

…we were admittedly eating at a restaurant in our Old town…the one that we moved 0.75 miles from last year into the next county, which makes a surprising amount of cultural difference! I was getting a flat spot on my forehead advocating for clean school air and flood access, so we left…but the local barber was an entertained supporter of mine after watching my attempts in vain for progress at Town Council meetings. I took his compliments as high praise since he knew everything and everyone in that town. And he apparently knew I was never going to succeed, lol. Lesson learned.

Just got our first solicitation to attend a town planning meeting in our new town. My dance card is full with lessons learned about local politics and picking our battles. Not engaging.

5 Likes

I totally agree. Good friend versus total stranger makes all the difference.

7 Likes

Can be, yeah. Next time I’ll flash them my pod – maybe I’ll get a big hug like @T1Allison. :laughing:

5 Likes

there was this one time where without thinking clearly, while i was changing into my swim suit, i pulled my infusin site off (the plastic thingy). i pulled it right out of my body. totally freaking out (how would i bolus when i was done with my swim). i called my husband and got lucky; he was home and only 20 minutes from the pool. i had him bring me a new infusion set asap. phew. the funny thing was, he (after all these years of marrage) didnt know which part i needed so he brought two big boxes of pump supplies :rofl:

but it got funnier still: when i was done with my swim, i had to attach the infusion into my belly. i took the needle out to slide it under my skin. it was obvious no one wanted to see, bc everyone was turning their back to me but still i could see the look of horror on their faces.

( should have gone into a bathroom stall :upside_down_face: …next time.) now i bring a fresh set with me everywhere i go!!! live and learn.)

6 Likes

Dont hate people for well ment intentions. Use it as a chance to bring awareness to Diabetes.

3 Likes

Sounds more like it. :joy:

Oh hell no! Make them squirm! Seriously!!!

3 Likes

HAHAHAHA!!! LOL :crazy_face:

1 Like

Funny, I’ve been wearing a dexcom sensor and a tandem attachment for a couple of years now and nobody seems to notice. Then again, I’m a 60 y.o. guy so nobody notices us anyway …

The only time I said anything was a couple of years ago when I saw another guy wearing a dexcom sensor at a pool - and we compared notes.

5 Likes

I had another lady ask me about my pod today out in public. But she was very polite about it and didn’t sneak attack me with a bear hug! :grin:

3 Likes

I love that! Historically, finding another T1 was rare, and the info swap is always a great thrill. (I once learned from a 9 year old cheerleader in a hotel restaurant that you could spray Flonase on a Pod site and it will help with allergic reactions!) Now we’ve got FUD so I don’t have to chase diabetics through the streets to ask them what works for them! :rofl:

4 Likes

Ha yes—I saw a research assistant at the MRI facility I sometimes work at wearing a Dexcom on her arm (mine is on my belly so not visible), but didn’t have a chance to talk to her about it. If I see her again I might though, because while I no longer feel like other T1s are hard to find, Dexcom/CGM users doing MRI research are, and it’s kind of a pain in the a** to deal with!

1 Like

Taken out of context this is quite the quote…

1 Like

:rofl: :joy: :upside_down_face: That’s the thing, IN context it was totally weird! I was in the hotel restaurant because EH was at a Magic the Gathering conference, which is a incredibly dorky but amazing collectible card game – the most popular card game in the world, actually. It was at the San Jose convention center and there were thousands of dudes there, and in the other half of the convention center there was a cheerleading conference with thousands of girls from 6 to 18 years old!

Now, this sounds like a recipe for disaster. But, all of the dudes are so geeky they didn’t even know where to look when they got in the elevator so they all stared at the ceiling and looked awkward. I’m sure the teenage girls should’ve wondered why there were a bunch of smelly guys hanging around, but they were more concerned with getting enough hairspray into their ponytails so their hair dos wouldn’t fall out while cheering.

It was one of the funniest things. But that girl cheerleader from Reno, she was cool. She said something about how much work cheerleading was, and that nobody ever takes it seriously. I totally believe her! That was a lot of activity - she was definitely unlimited. :smile:

4 Likes

More popular than Solitaire? Though a conference for Solitaire players might be a nonstarter …

4 Likes

I wear the Dexcom G5 and have never been asked any question. One time I was questioned about my BG level. A person happened to see my BG level on my stand-alone watch during a competitive 5K run. The watch transflective display really shows up in bright sunlight.

2 Likes

I’ve met 2 diabetics out in the wild just in the last week because of my G6… so that’s cool. That’s twice what I usually meet in a year. Winter’s coming though… will have to move it to my forehead.

3 Likes

Winter’s coming though… will have to move it to my forehead.

I love this image in my head. But if you make as many funny expressions as I think you might make, you’d better make sure to get a Grif Grip stuck on there for sure.

I was grumpy this morning and picked this one. I can recommend if you feel grumpy. The red one with horns is perfect. Although EH reported back that he went rock climbing at the gym with it and no one said a word! I think it’s adorable!

5 Likes

One of the really cool things about the TCOYD weekend we attended was seeing the marvelous display of devices, hearing all manner of alarm sounds, and everybody just doing what they gotta do. :smile_cat:

6 Likes