What is your experience with SGLT2 inhibitors?

The side effect that made me stop taking it was two yeast infections within those six weeks after not having any for years.

I did also get ketones very easily, which according to my endocrinologist is normal with SGLT2 inhibitors. (I get ketones fairly easily as it is, compared to some people who rarely or never get them.) He was actually monitoring my ketones with lab draws every six weeks, and told me to monitor them twice a day and any time I felt unwell. I used urine ketone strips to monitor daily and tested blood ketones if the urine strips were highly positive or I felt unwell. Two times during that period I felt really crappy with somewhat high blood sugar, and both times I took insulin and drank a ton of water and they cleared.

My endocrinologist spent a long time talking to me about DKA risk and how to manage ketones, and he also said he was letting me try it in part because he knew I was very knowledgeable and on top of my diabetes. Like pumps, it’s a tool that comes with some risk, and I don’t think it’s a good match for people who don’t test often or don’t respond immediately to highs.

2 Likes