What is Siri saying?

When Siri reports my Dexcom reading, she first says something that sounds to me like “D-rain.” Does anyone know or have an educated guess what she is saying?

3 Likes

I have no idea since I don’t use Siri with xdrip. Will be interesting to find out. Glad you asked. :snowman: And welcome to our forum!

2 Likes

When I ask Siri, “What’s my glucose”, the Dexcom Siri shortcut, it says,
“Okay, viewing. You’re nn and steady”

where “nn” is your BG, and “steady” could be different depending on your BG trend. The “Okay, viewing” indicates it is displaying the Dexcom graph on your phone. Is that what you mean?

4 Likes

Yes, that must be what it is. To my old ears, it doesn’t sound like “viewing” but that makes more sense than anything else. Thanks for solving the mystery. I had never noticed that the graph was displayed, because when I ask Siri it’s because the phone is in my pocket.

4 Likes

Same here! I only noticed the graph because I was testing it for you on my iPhone!! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

After listening carefully for a few more days, I’m convinced Siri is NOT saying “viewing.” The word clearly starts with a D and has a long A in the second syllable. I’m unable to contort my mind into hearing “viewing,” so any other suggestions are welcome. Obviously not a critical issue, but my curiosity about what she’s saying and why is nagging at me.

3 Likes

Hmm, you are asking about the Dexcom Siri shortcut, right? If so, I rechecked, and also asked a non native English speaker to listen. We both conclude that Siri is indeed saying, “okay, viewing…”

But maybe I’m misunderstanding your question or perhaps your iPhone really is saying something different than mime! I’m using the latest iOS and latest dexcom app. Maybe our versions are different?

1 Like

My Siri setting (latest IOS) is for American Female voice. Just now I changed it to American Male voice, and what comes out, I can just about imagine to be, “viewing,” but in the Female voice, it’s not even close. I tried to attach a recording of what I’m hearing, but the mp4 is not allowed. You can hear it by going to this WeTransfer.com link: https://we.tl/t-1t3dIvs6g1. Is that the same thing you hear? It still doesn’t sound like “viewing” to me, but I’m curious what others hear.
BTW, the link will expire after a few days. I should also acknowledge that my ears are 70 years old, and may have lost some high range, but I’m not yet using hearing aids and am still teaching the violin.

2 Likes

Okay, I just found a deceptively simple way to confirm the answer to my question. In Settings, there is an option to “Always show Siri captions.” I turned it on and Bingo: there it was:

So you were right, Trying, and Siri has backed you up, no matter how distorted I think her speech is. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@JayReeve Wow, I didn’t know about that setting! Thanks!

I listened to your audio file and it definitely says “OK, viewing.” But I’m glad you found the Siri captions, I was going to suggest that. I know how these things can nag for days! :slight_smile:

2 Likes