What food / snax should I bring?

My family is volunteering at a concert in a major arena. I’m type 2 and am allowed to bring in a soft sided cooler to cover my food and snacks. Will have no access to anything to heat food up. Will be there from about 4 until about 11 pm. I could buy from concessions but way too expensive.

What do you all recommend that’s easy to make for both snacks and at least one meal? It can stay cool if I add ice packs. It will be with me the entire time.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if you’re looking for something more complicated than this, but I usually pack sandwiches, fruit, nuts, and pretzels or something when we’re planning on being away from the house. I also bring things like applesauce pouches and welch’s Fruit snacks for lows. As I am a caffeine addict, I make sure to pack my fix for that as well.

On those types of outings, I would try to make sure I’ve got what I need to fill me up, knowing I can always buy a treat… Don’t know if any of that gives you any ideas…

What concert, by the way??

Thanks for the advice. It’s called Winter Jam http://2019.jamtour.com/ . We’ve been going for several years, and the last 3 we decided to volunteer to avoid the wait Q and having to pay to get in. It’s a blast!

3 Likes

Do you want ideas on fancy stuff? Like to impress people? Or is it mainly just for your own sustenance?

Nah, just for me. No one in my family, myself included, likes to cook. Just need low carb, healthy but filling ideas. I can bring ice packs to keep stuff cold. Just not heat stuff up. I’m going to be there approx 4pm to 10-11ish plus the drive home, and I really hate buying anything at the concession stand. Its overpriced and not very healthy.

Okay, sorry I am not much of a resource on the low-carb stuff!

Maybe @Jen would have some ideas?

Do you like chicken salad? You could have that in one container and a serving of lettuce in another; join them when it’s time for dinner. Snacks and/or a meal could be meat and cheese. My husband likes to wrap meat and cheese around a pickle. Peanut packs are nice too and easy to take along. Peanut butter with celery is a nice treat and easy to make/eat. Or, cream cheese with celery is nice. Berries are low in carbs and are easy to take along, just pack them on the top of the other food in your cooler so they don’t get crushed. Raw vegetables like broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, celery, cauliflower,… are a nice snack or side to a meal like chicken salad. Hard boiled eggs are nice too.

I hope you and your family have a grand time!

My low-carb foods would but nut and seed mixes (almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, coconut flakes, maybe low-carb chocolate chips for a trail mix type thing); low-carb yogurt and berries or other toppings like nuts, flax seeds, or hemp hearts (this is my lunch tomorrow); low-carb wraps of various sorts; chicken or other meats; low-carb veggies and dip (I eat celery, carrots, cucumber, cauliflower, red pepper); salads of various kinds; and dark chocolate. Also hard-boiled eggs and various cheeses are fantastic and I would pack lots of that if I could eat them!

1 Like

Try the Kind protein bars. They are my go to filling snack on long plane flights.

1 Like

My son has a 7 am workout before school, he brings gochujang deviled eggs, nuts, a cooked hamburger patty with cheese, and a carb control tortilla for breakfast.

Ahh, to be young and able to eat tons of food. sigh

3 Likes

That’s great — looks like a 6-9 carb breakfast if you use the lowest carb tortillas! My son could go for this breakfast :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ooh I haven’t been to Winter Jam in a long time but that is a good concert - and it’s so cheap too! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I must say I am a bit jealous!

Yeah, its a great time. When we started going, it was $10 at the door, now $15. But everyone waits in one or two big Q lines for HOURS to get in. The only exception is if you have a Jamnation pass, which gets you in early but costs like $35 if memory serves. They still have a line though. Whereas volunteers get in before everyone else and pay ZERO! This year I think we have to be there at 3pm. My family will be handing out fliers at the beginning and then going in to sit down.

Last year it wasn’t so bad as I was fairly well controlled, but this year I tend to fluctuate more, so that’s why I asked for ideas. I want variety but healthy stuff so I don’t eat junk like pizza or subway!

I even heard one year of a band that requested help loading/unloading on our home school group message board. All they had to do was either help unload or load before/after the band played, and they got in super early plus got autographs and an all access pass including behind stage! Now that sounds like fun!

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for the ideas.

Food wise, we went with boiled eggs, 1 1/2 lunchmeat sandwiches, gatorade zero, and a few other things I can’t remember.

We were let in before the Jamnation people (early access for like $40/ticket) were even let in! My wife, son and I were tasked with handing out fliers for one hour and that’s it! We got the pick of the seats, and chose seats in the 2nd row before the floor seats (didn’t want to appear too greedy taking floor seats!) center stage. We had a ball. It was a wonderful concert! Got my 16 year old son a CD and a hoodie. Hoodie was a bit pricey at $40 but I guess that’s not outrageous for a tour hoodie.

5 Likes

Really glad it worked out and you had a good time. Nothing better than good music with the family. As far as hoodie prices, I think you did fine, at our concerts here it would be nothing to see those for $80-$100

1 Like

Plus, the tickets were free! So $40 for that whole night is really good! Hope he picked a good band for his shirt :wink:

1 Like