What do you eat when you are too high to eat?

We have been sick for several days now, and are up to 80% basal today. The boy has been pushing many units of insulin into his system, which somehow do nothing to his BG: he injected 17 units in 4 events to try to get low enough to have dinner, to no avail (he was around 100 all evening but could not seem to come down lower).

When this happens, we fall back onto a very low-carb dinner: we can’t wait past 10:30pm for him to have dinner… One of our standard fallbacks is a veggie and meat saute. Tonight, it was:

• 1.5 oz of broccoli
    *1 oz of Mann’s power blend
  • 3 oz of home-made pulled chicken
  • olive oil, garlic, grated parmesan and spices, all sauteed quickly together – total 4 carbs.

What do you fall back on when you are too high to eat and can’t come down?

Similar idea, something with few enough carbohydrates in it that it doesn’t require much insulin (if any at all) to eat. There have been many times that I’m thankful that it doesn’t require much of a bolus!

1 Like

Eggs.

Basic standby.

For a sick day, I would consider 100 to be great !!! For us it is a battle to get it under 200 with a mini-celebration if we get it under 150. Sick days are tough.

I hope your boy is feeling better soon.

3 Likes

Chicken soup.

2 Likes

Eggs, any type of deli meat and those sorts of things, along with cheeses.

2 Likes

Eggs before it was a low carb diet - now it’s low carb diet can’t eat protein either so I eat a big slice of Brie smothered with olive tapenade as fat is the only thing for free now

2 Likes

Ditto on the eggs. I like scrambled eggs with shredded cheese, a few slices of avocado and maybe a little bacon.

2 Likes

Pickles, olives, cheese, meat, nuts, wine… Yum!

2 Likes

Pickled asparagus, dark chocolate, salami, cheese with SF jam on it (Walden’s Farms raspberry is actually pretty tasty), nuts with melted butter and sprinkled stevia on top, low carb toast with melted butter and sprinkled stevia & cinnamon on top, raw veggies (low carb variety) and dip, pork rinds, sugar free jello…

Drinks: herbal tea iced with sweetener, diet any pop, campbells beef consume, chocolate unsweet almond milk with stevia…

2 Likes

If I am really hungry, nuts. They satisfy hunger but have a delayed effect on BGs, due to high fat and protein. Hopefully by the time they get metabolized, BG is under better control!

2 Likes

A martini with all of the pickled veggies that I want. Some nuts and cheese, too. :slight_smile: (a Bloody Mary works well if I feel like I need some added vitamins)

3 Likes

Wow, I love asparagus but have never heard of pickled asparagus. I’ll have to look that up and try some soon.

2 Likes

OMG it’s AMAZING…I’m so excited for you LOL :rofl:

3 Likes

Cottage cheese, pistachios

2 Likes

Soup and apples

1 Like