What do you binge on to correct low lows?

For moderate lows, I always reach for fruit or maybe some kind of chocolate. But for your definition of low lows (below 40 and falling) I’ll go directly for glucose. Smarties in my case (which I always carry with me). Thankfully that doesn’t happen often - I REALLY don’t like being that low and I want to get back to normal as soon as possible which is why I go direct to glucose.

Sounds strange, but I’ve never eaten an actual Pharmacy glucose tab - Smarties are the equivalent, plus they’re cheaper and more readily available.

1 Like

We also had coke syrup at my D camp. It was hanging from all the trees along all the trails. I hated it.

1 Like

i buy the giant size containers of my glucose tabs and then i put them into a tube sized container that is easy to carry with me. i only pay $5 for 50 tablets. that seems reasonable. i buy them at CVS. i like them b/c i like the taste and consistency, and i know exactly how high each tablet will bring me. ( about 20 points per tablet ) (i find them very reliable, too )

i see on FUD all the time about Smarties. they seem to be a huge hit! maybe i’ll get around to trying them one day :blush:

1 Like

One roll of smarties is 6g carb, so presumably one roll would raise you 30 points (assuming your tabs are 4g carb each). No reason to change if you like what you’re using - smarties may be a little cheaper but no one is going to go broke from smarties or glucose tabs. (I also like that I can find them at any grocery or convenience store so there is no excuse for running out).

i buy mine in bulk. (if only they sold them at Costco :wink: ) i have to look for these b/c they are so popular. i am wondering if i would like the flavors.

If they had them at Costco, it would be a five pound bag in the only flavor you don’t like, so just as well. :slight_smile: (That said, you can buy Smarties in a five pound bag, but that would last me about 100 years. I buy them in the $1 bags for 5 ounces (20 rolls) that are in grocery and convenience stores).

I’ll treat moderate lows with food I like to eat - but by the time I need to eat glucose, I couldn’t care in the least what they taste like. (For some reason, the advice I got early on recommended keeping a roll of lifesavers in your pocket so that’s what I used to carry. I have memories from those old days of eating rolls of lifesavers that had been languishing in my pocket for months until they had turned into a disgusting mix of semi-melted lifesaver, wax paper and foil. Chew it up, spit out the foil and some of the paper and swallow the rest - but boy was I happy to have them!)

3 Likes

wow. what a great idea. i love Lifesavors (got to love the appropriate name, as well :wink:.)

i would still keep my tubs of Gtabs at home, but i wouldnt mind traveling with a roll of Lifesavors in my bag.

1 Like

aint that the truth :wink:

Ok - What are Lifesavors?

Similar to Lifesavers?

And every time I hear people talking about smarties, I keep thinking - why would you use candy-coated chocolate as a low treatment :slight_smile: …but maybe it is because I live in Canada and smarties are not glucose in a roll.

What are people talking about when they say smarties. I think of the one on the left when people say that, but now I am wondering if they are more like the one on the right.

If they are like the ones on the left, I can’t understand why anyone would think they are amazing.

1 Like

agreed. i would be just as thrilled as if i were eating a Tums or a GasX :wink:

1 Like

so i cant spell; is that such a crime? of course i meant LIFESAVERS. duh.

2 Likes

I actually thought that lifesavors was a different candy. with the “savor” being that it tasted good :worried: (oops).

2 Likes

you’re a hoot. how clever of you. i thought you were just making fun of me…basically b/c everyone else does (i can come up with some very creative ideas on how to spell things)

1 Like

Blarg, I remember that stuff too. Never called it camel snot tho, that’s a new one! :wink:

1 Like

I’ve been wondering that pretty much ever since I was diagnosed. :laughing: I’d rather just eat glucose tabs - at least I can get different flavors I like!

last night i went into my 40s and for the first time ever, i tried raisins. it was like eating crunchy, chewy raw sugar. i went from 42 to 110 in 15 minutes. holy cow. i dont remember how many i ate, but it was not very much at all.

with glucose tabs, i know exactly where i am going to go and where i am going to end up. they are very predictable and reliable. thats one of their bonuses which i like so much.

2 Likes

Oh, Daisy, so glad those raisins worked so fast for you! They don’t do much for me at all…

2 Likes

i cant imagine raisins NOT working. i doubt i’ve ever had such concentrated sugar.

Always airheads for me now. Cheap, delicious and conveniently individually wrapped.

Used to be potato chips, sugary cereal, any candy I can find, bananas, anything I see in the pantry. My daughter can attest to the late night noise of potato chip bags.

I haven’t had really bad cravings anymore since on Afrezza. I’d like to say it’s willpower cause the aftermath of waking up super high was horrible but I really don’t have the cravings. And my waist line thanks me.

2 Likes