What do you binge on to correct low lows?

That makes sense.

And welcome back!

1 Like

My favorite Glucose Tabs are the CVS brand in Orange. sometimes i get the tropical fruit, which are decent. the absolute worst flavor, imho, is the grape.

the BOOST Shakes that i use are made by Nestle and are called ā€œGlucose Control.ā€ they have 16 gms protein, 16 gms carbs, and only 4gms of sugar. i drink the Chocolate Sensation flavor (well, that is a no brainer :wink: ) I drink 2 at once after my swims. i LOVE them!!!

1 Like

all the time :wink:

1 Like

thank you for making this point very clear. i also suspend my pump when i am dropping very low very quickly. i suspend it for 1/2 hour and correct the low with whatever means necessary ( juice, Ovaltine; anything liquid works much faster than something solid when i have gone into my low 30s or my 20s).

i will also suspend my pump if i am having trouble bringing my BG back into target range when i have stubborn lows (30s / 40s ) that seem immune to sugar/fast carbs.

1 Like

Guess Iā€™m not one of those people. Iā€™ve been scared; never noticed a metallic taste. When I was at 40 and eating glucose that tasted metallic and not at all sweet, I just assumed that my glucose-starved taste buds and conducting nerves werenā€™t properly signalling to my brain.

Metallic taste (e.g., when drinking plain water) is also a reported side-effect of some chemo regimens for treating cancer, so I wonder how many different things can cause that sensation.

Maybe! Could also be a different level of adrenaline surge or SNS activation for a bad low.

Certain chemicals can definitely do it too, with lasting effects. For instance, some people get it after eating raw pine-nutsā€”I had this once and was so freaked out until I figured it out: Pine Mouth Is a Real-Life Nightmare | Bon AppĆ©tit

I once, many lifetimes ago, had an a1c of a 16.4. I was above a 14 for two years. For an entire year I tasted copper. Everything I put into my mouth tasted like a penny. So a ridiculous a1c is something that can cause that sensation.

1 Like

Thank youā€¦ not really cool for YOU, but itā€™s cool to me that there are others out thereā€¦ :smiley:

and thank YOU. Iā€™ve never heard anything about this, but it does make sense. I also donā€™t feel scared when low, but I certainly can go into ā€œoverloadā€, which is an overwhelmingly negative feeling. So itā€™s my brain again. Working against me. Too bad it makes me not want to eatā€¦ that just seems cruel.

it depends. sometimes its soda. sometimes its chocolate, sometimes its cookies. so it depends on what is the first thing i see

1 Like

Just seeing a picture of any of those made my BG go up 300 points. Bleh :cheeky:

1 Like

I like regular 'ol jelly beans. 2 g per, I usually eat 4, wait 10-15 minutes, eat more if needed. Way tastier than yucky glucose tabs.

Except for those old BD ones that came packed three to a package in foilā€¦ those were ok. But just ok. a7

Jelly beans are my treatment of choice right now, too, though I do carry glucose tabs half the time now - I find theyā€™re less tempting to overdo. :wink:

1 Like

Try these.
:wink:
best-low-treatment

3 Likes

Oh hellz yeah. :laughing:

1 Like

No - they were terrible. I hated them and it turned me off glucose for about 20 years. :laughing:

2 Likes

I think it is amazing funny how one of the most divisive issues in the diabetes community is Glucose Tabs. Who would have thought that would be what would divide usā€¦

2 Likes

i feel exactly the same way. they were revolting!!!

1 Like

Agreed!!! Those were the disgusting ones I had at D camp sometimes. I may have even preferred camel snot over those.

Did you guys call it that? Camel snot? It was some strange glucose gel that I only ever saw at D camp.

2 Likes

The low treatment I had at D camp was coke syrup. The syrup you add water and carbon dioxide to make coke in a soda fountain. It was measured into a large syringe and squirted into the patients mouth.

I have to say it was pretty pleasant and I do recall a lot of lows :slight_smile:

4 Likes