What do you binge on to correct low lows?

good for you. i have always been curious about afrezza, but it cannot be taken with one of my medications, so i have had no opportunity to try it. it does sound like a wonder drug, though, sometimes.

1 Like

:joy::rofl: Sometimes me too!

1 Like

For quick correction Hi-C juice box is awesome and then I throw in a cookie or something sweet for the tastebuds.The juice box is the best for quick recovery.

2 Likes

Someoneā€™s husband didnā€™t believe her that we had enough candy for the trick or treaters.

My lows are covered for a while.:flushed:

4 Likes

Chocolate covered raisins would at least taste better! :smirk:

1 Like

I use Smarties, the little dextrose candies in a cellophane roll. There are 15 tablets in a roll that is 6 g carbs. To me they taste like SweetTarts. I like them because you can customize it to any amount you want, 7-8 tablets=3 g carbs, 2 rolls=12 g carbs, etc. I put them in empty test strip containers.

3 Likes

very clever of you!!! I am always looking for little ingenious homemade gadgets like that. :grin:

1 Like

I no longer binge. If I am really low, which happens too often, I drink a 7-up or Sprite. I have those small bottles and about 1/2 of one shoots my numbers back up pretty fast. Then I can eat something normal to last me till whenever the net big meal is.

1 Like

I think I am gonna get some fresh chocolate covered raisons for myself. that sounds delicious. its like killing 2 birds with 1 stone :rofl: :yum:

3 Likes

you donā€™t like to binge? even a mini binge??? LOL

1 Like

wellā€¦ i do, i just canā€™t handle the highs so I try very hard not to.

1 Like

One roll of Smarties are pretty good to snack on. Only 6gs but that pure sugar makes my brain scream for moreā€¦

1 Like

Holiday favorite for lows: Puppy Chow. 17g carb/quarter cup

Crispix, pb, butter, semisweet chocolate, powdered sugar.

Best invention in the world. When I was a kid (before my T1D days), I could eat half a batch (half a box of cereal) in one sitting with no regrets. Stomach of iron.

3 Likes

And what else?
:grinning:

Head of stone. Like my black lab.

2 Likes

Heart of gold.

2 Likes

If I ate a donut or pastry, my BG would be around 250! I would need to take insulin. Do Donuts and pastries cause a slow ris? If Iā€™m treating a low in the 60ā€™s, I feel hesitant to take insulin and simultaneously eat a donut for fear that the donut sugar rise wonā€™t kick in fast enough. I may wind up clutching a bag of sugar!

1 Like

Donuts generally cause a fairly rapid rise with me, thatā€™s really persistent if not treated.

Even at 60, Iā€™ll take a bolus if I eat a donut. YDMV

3 Likes

For me, donuts can cause problems bc they tend to initially spike, but then they linger bc of the fat. so they might seem to bring my BG up from a low, but then they hang in there with an undeniable force that then ends up requiring more insulin to bring down the high BG. Ugh. thank goodness I donā€™t like donuts. problem solved.

I find that if I am at 60, a nice chocolate truffle will bring me up between 20 to 30 points and land me just where Iā€™d like to be. but I must be patient with chocolate. I need to give it a good 45 minutes for its full effect (unlike apple juice which works immediately, but which I save for when I am in my 30s)

PS: being in my 60s does not freak me out, though, so being patient with a yummy piece of chocolate doesnā€™t phase me at all :yum:

3 Likes

@daisymae - chocolate truffle sounds delicious. Is it mostly chocolate, sugar, cocoa butter, fat? I think there is no wheat. Wheat containing products tend to give me BG trouble: chocolate cakes, brownies, donuts, pies. Chocolate mousses made with simple ingredients, for some reasons are not so difficult to bolus for. Profiteroles are difficult to dose.

1 Like