Welcome, introduce yourself here!

@Cameedee i am a recent diagnosis and had been struggling so hard how to get brave again with my workouts, you are so right about once bitten/twice shy on lows. prediagnosis my exercise had fallen off a cliff and when they put insulin in me, i felt so much better that i got carried away! i wasn’t well versed in how to do long exercise with diabetes, but i set off immediately on one of my pre-diagnosis favorite routes without a plan… and i promptly and predictably ran myself straight into a severe low (sub-60 and tanking on the cgm: i bottomed in the low 50s per glucometer) waaay out on a forest service road with no cell service, and realized i had only three hard candies on me and several miles to more sugar, cell coverage, or another human. that was really unpleasant! i had to decide if it was riskier to go slow or fast getting out: i went with fast and clearly made it, but it was scary af. i had mostly been staying on my treadmill since, concerned that i wasn’t adept enough at management to prevent a repeat.

BUT! like @CarlosLuis says, @Eric (who is some kind of wizard or spirit guide or something) has a CORNUCOPIA of knowhow and he is incredibly generous with it! i’m gearing up for my first post-diagnosis 10k and he’s got my back for every step. with his guidance, in the last few days i did a mile for time, and a 6 mile run, and managed my glucose for both!!! so his advice and insights really work! feel free to check out my Pandamania 10k thread, i will be posting daily documentation of my workouts, medications, and food intake for the next three weeks. i’m 37F with a recent T1/LADA dx. i’m learning as i go for sure so maybe you can crib from my mistakes and share in my learning. welcome!

8 Likes

If the body’s glycogen stores haven’t been depleted by endurance exercise or starvation, stress hormones will raise the BG, so hard sprints can give the BG a rise.

As you’ve already learned, it’s nice to have lots of fast carbs available, and for non-endurance exercise, 0 IOB to help avoid lows.

Racing is a different story, where you may want maximum carb absorption plus insulin to power the activity.

And Eric has been studying all this, and is generous about teaching us how to do it well.

7 Likes

i didn’t know the stress thing at the time, so i had a 50/50 shot of cutting the right wire :rofl: smarter to be lucky than it’s lucky to be smart! terrifying lesson but one i won’t soon forget: i never head out without the proper preparedness checks now. and i am so much more empowered now that i have the wisdom of FUDiabetes behind me! i :heart: all of you.

6 Likes

Hi everyone! My name is Thomas, and I’ve been living with diabetes since 2022. Managing this condition has been a journey with its share of challenges and learning experiences. My diabetes is Type 2, and I’ve learned how crucial it is to stay on top of my blood sugar levels, medications, and diet. I’ve adjusted my lifestyle over the years and found what works best for me, but I’m always open to new ideas and advice.

7 Likes

Hi @tomaitistomas029 , welcome to FUD!

3 Likes

Hi, @tomaitistomas029 welcome. It sounds like you have the right attitude. Maintain good blood glucose levels and you can expect a long and good life.

3 Likes

Hi, @tomaitistomas029 and welcome to a good group. Hope to hear your experiences and what’s worked for you!

2 Likes

Welcome Tom.

2 Likes

Welcome!

2 Likes