Welcome, introduce yourself here!

Pretzels and Bagels are absolutely the worst for me. Which reminds me, @daisymae suggested that Bialys might be better than bagels because they are made without malt. I tried a bialy and my blood sugars didn’t climb as fast as they usually do with Bagels, But I haven’t been able to find a substitute for those soft bavarian pretzels that doesn’t cause my blood sugar to take off like a rocket.

4 Likes

Unfortunately I do not know, my father passed away when I was 15 he was last survivor of his family and my mother didn’t really know anything.
There are a lot of people with gcm here, I have been on one for years but am currently having issues with medicade over coverage.

3 Likes

We can get whole wheat pretzels here or I just have half and my husband eats the other half. I usually decide we’re having pretzels when we’ve got a big walk/hike planned so I can enjoy more delicious fluffy bread.

Pretzels are amazing sliced in half (like a sandwich) and pan fried in butter. :drooling_face:

3 Likes

Hmmm, needs faster insulin. Try Afrezza with a pretzel?

3 Likes

I think you may be right. Your second sentence is intriguing as I’'ve never thought about mixing different insulins like that. I just take Humalog or Novolog, whichever is covered by insurance. Probably goes in a separate thread if this is actually a thing.

3 Likes

Same here, but I’m hoping to get Afrezza for special occasions (quick short-tail correction of BG that’s rocketing up or way too high, and maybe for a large-ish tasting of a really fast carb food.) At present my tool is big prebolus-overbolus-overcorrection, but if I get along with Afrezza I’m thinking it would be a better tool for the job.

Feel free to put out the question and see if anyone has experience to share.

1 Like

@Finn Welcome to the group and glad you’ve joined the conversation! Before dx I used to love Germany’s pretzels along with all the great breads and bakery products! The consolation post dx is the sausages are still great and bolusing for them is much easier! My wife, daughter and her husband, met up in Munich a few years ago, went down to the US Garmisch recreation/hotel for Christmas and traveled the area…nothing like hot sausages and Gluhwein on a crisp afternoon! Anyway, ask any questions and comment away…the group here isn’t shy about sharing experiences and thoughts…agree, disagree, and post alternative views you think others may benefit from! Welcome!

6 Likes

Thanks Tom.

I’ve found some vegetarian sausages that are just 3.8g of carbs each. We’ve also got several veggie burger we enjoy and we usually get rolls from the bakery for the bun. I cut my bun in three and take out the middle piece to reduce the bready carbs. The total carbs aren’t too bad and I usually plan to have veggie burgers before a long walk/hike. Even then, doing half the insulin, the carbs usually hit me late and if I’ve pre-bolused, I end up going low. It’s strange, but I need to bolus after eating for veggie burgers, especially if we’re at the market and have them with twister pommes (curly fries), which seem to slow down the carbs even more.

I haven’t noticed this pattern with anything else (even pizza is fine and that seems to be a sticking point for some people) but burgers seem to work differently for me. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Hi!

I just joined :slight_smile:

I’ve been on pumps for about 10 years and only just recently on a loop system. Tandem with D6. I’m a bit of a data geek, so I’m loving the graphs.

Not sure what I think about it yet. I managed my old pump closely with adjustments in my head, it’s difficult to let that go and allow the algorithm to do its thing.

F

4 Likes

Welcome @Freya to our corner of the internet!

There are many here who Loop, many who use CIQ, and now some that are just embarking on OM5 as an AID. There are lots of great threads here some new, some old with tons of users personal advice on how to adjust/set up or otherwise fine tune your AID beyond the intended manufacturers intentions. As always we are not medical professionals and your experience may vary but we do have lots of helpful suggestions.

If you enjoy the data aspects, there are several members here you will enjoy “speaking” with as they are very data driven.

3 Likes

Thanks for the welcome :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I’m reading some posts about the IOB, it does not behave as I expected. And now I know why :grimacing:

I’m more of a liker and lurker but will pipe up if encouraged.

F

6 Likes

Feel free to read and like. You might find yourself part of the discussion without even realizing it, lol

3 Likes

Some physicians recommend to adjust the pump settings but otherwise let the pump algorithm take care of everything by itself.

Personally I can’t stand to wait while the algorithm fails to bring down high BG. I understand that some people prefer the algorithm to take care of everything for them, but I prefer to approach the insulin dosing as a cooperative activity, where the algorithm does what it thinks is right, and I intervene (sometimes forcibly) whenever I think it’s not doing as well as I can.

5 Likes

Oh, so am the same. But I wanted to see how this thing works “out of the box”. Being a little high over the weekend isn’t an issue but when I need a brain, it needs to be dialed in!
F

6 Likes

My son often simplifies things by injecting insulin the system doesn’t know about. This often leads to the results he is looking for, but of course doesn’t help dial in the system. As always your results may vary. But when frustrated, simplifying things always has an attraction.

4 Likes

I lasted 3 days on the setting my educator put in. Last night I changed them. So much better. Although, I will put in random doses if the algorithm doesn’t do it’s job.

4 Likes

Depending on how similar your meals and activity levels are from one day to next, you may find that multiple basal settings or temp setting are helpful.

Or many try to keep food portions/timing similar, and same settings every day.

Stress, illness and other factors can also trigger higher or lower insulin usage. Over time you will learn to adapt.

3 Likes

I eat basically the same meal all week at about the same time. I plan to have a different profile on weekends. I’m going to call it “Party” :wink:

4 Likes

Hi everyone. It’s been about a decade since I’ve participated in a forum setting. Not sure I’ve actually found the intro thread, but here goes.
I’m Melissa, my (then 9 YO) daughter was diagnosed 3 years ago this past August. The day we left the hospital, she told her endo she’d be doing her own injections when we returned for her one week follow-up. The girl has grit and by her second meal at home she was injecting herself. We spent 3 months calculating boluses together and the second we got insurance approval for a pump we had one. We have a pool, she was on the swim team and she wanted a system without tubes so obviously she chose the Omnipod Dash. We did wonderful on the Dash. We utilized every feature to the fullest, multiple basal programs, extended bolusing, temp basals. She eats absolutely anything she wants (except the 100 average carb school lunch) whenever she wants. She was about 65-75% daily in range, beautiful A1Cs 5.4-6.7 We are tech geeks, so when Omnipod released news of a closed loop system, we were thrilled. Keeping those kinds of stats was A LOT OF WORK for both of us and we were looking forward to maybe/hopefully/ allowing an algorithm to do some of that work. So we dove head first into the new gen 5 and it was fabulous. the first pod was rough but after that her time in range had skyrocketed to over 80% consistently. For 3 1/2 months we had that baby dialed in so good we almost forgot what it was like to decide if the Dash correction bolus was going to give enough insulin or if we needed to override it. I was consistently sleeping all night, not having to get up and start a temp basal increase or give a correction. She was loving not having to text me because she didn’t come down after her lunch, or what ratio she should use on the extended bolus for the pizza she was about eat. Ya’ll are waiting for the infamous ‘BUT THEN’ aren’t you? Yep. But Then the mother of all mother software failures happened in tandem with a very foolish mistake on my part. My foolish mistake? I shut off her DEXCOM high alert. She was at theater class and they were filming their commercial ad slates. She had inhaled sushi on the way to class, plus was getting over a mild respiratory virus and she was climbing fast and that alarm was just going to keep singing every 4 minutes since the BG value was changing every 4 minutes. I picked up her phone, shut off the high alert and said to myself, don’t forget to turn that back on. The rotten thing is we disable her high alert all the time for various reasons, testing, church, weddings, etc. Well, theater class was followed with voice class and that was followed with a rehearsal for a musical she’s in. (wednesdays are a long day for us) By the time we get home we both are exhausted and going straight to bed. However, I didn’t reset her high alert. Which, honestly 1 out 100 days would have been no big deal. Except the Omnipod lost signal with her DEXCOM and instead of putting itself in limited mode and delivering the programmed manual mode basal rate, it stayed in automode and just paused all insulin delivery. Yes, you read that correctly. At 8:01 pm it dispensed 0.10 units and then dosed her nothing All.Night.Long. 10 glorious hours of 0 IOB. I’m up at 5:45 am to wake the house for it’s morning routine. At 6 she comes downstairs looking miserable, feeling miserable and asks if she has to go to school because her throat hurts, her stomach hurts etc. My husband seems to be the only smart one, picks up his phone and gently tells us she is reading HIGH and has been reading HIGH since midnight.
Several phone calls with Omnipod that day, each Several hours long. The software error code that the pdm gave was an insignificant error that sent no audible alarms. The pod not delivering insulin is supposed to alarm, it did not alarm. Of course Omnipod is telling me this has never happened to anyone, this is the first report of any such incident of the pdm staying in automode and pausing insulin. I’m not buying it.
After a few weeks of this bugging me, and a couple of google searches regarding omnipod gen 5 software failures, I finally landed here. I’m glad I found this sight, it looks like a great place for a parent of a T1 and I wish I would have found you a lot sooner in our journey.

14 Likes

@Mel529 really glad you found us, I was lucky enough to find this merry band of (mis)-fits, also known as technically adept diabetics, within a few months of my 12 year old being diagnosed. Those days were filled with worry, and research.

You are lucky to have found a setup that works for you, but then of course you just found one of the warts. Sorry for you and your daughter. I also imagine your daughter is now growing like a weed and having nightly dumps of hormones that complicates things. No fun.

My son is now a sophomore at college and managing things pretty well (A1C is 7.3) considering his diet and drinking we are not worried. He is already showing signs of wanting to tighten his control, and he even wakes up when his Dex low alarms in the middle of the night, which was always a challenge for a heavy sleeping teenager. Thanks for posting and I look forward to learning more about your journey and what you have learned.

8 Likes