Welcome, introduce yourself here!

Hi @ClaudnDaye , I read through many, many posts on the forum about Xdrip (I hadn’t ever heard of it before so I needed to orient myself!) The truth is, I also don’t have time/patience to troubleshoot it frequently. It was great to have all the information available that everyone shared and I get that people have varying experiences with it. I have an Android (Pixel 1) phone and when I started looking for watches, I realized that there are SO many options, and all I want it for is to see my blood sugar w/ the dexcom app :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Hi @docslotnick , I’m leaning towards getting the Sony 3 watch to leave my options open in case I want to trp xDrip and cause it seems like a nice watch. :slight_smile:

Hi @Chris , Thanks! Yes indeed - I have a Pixel 1.

I have thought about going to Canada as an option, actually to live! -but I hadn’t thought too much about going to get insulin but that is a great option if needed, especially since I’m close. For me it is more like… a problem affording the insurance overall, not exactly that I’m having trouble getting insulin. (In a way it’s sort of the same problem I guess.) I’m sure many others are in the same boat or a similar one.

1 Like

Hello, my name is Cody. My daughter was diagnosed October of 2017 and my wife was diagnosed at age 8. My wife uses Medtronic and daughter pens & G6. We handle fairly well but like so many others hitting our share of road bumps. Thanks for the forum. The one thing about this whole thing that has humbled me is how amazing and supportive the T1D community is.

11 Likes

Welcome @CodyA, you are correct, that the diabetic community is very supportive, and that there are many tips beyone what most physicians are willing to share. Glad you joined.

3 Likes

@CodyA, so glad to see you join! I can’t agree with you more on how wonderful the D community is!

So sorry about your daughter’s diagnosis. Since your wife is a T1, you probably have a lot of expertise at home to manage your daughter. Maybe ask why your wife uses a pump but your daughter Levemir?

Greetings @CodyA (Cody) you have found a great place to expand your resources, knowledge, and community. There is wealth of experience and practical knowledge on this blog that hopefully will benefit your family. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@Michel I know this is old but I just had to add— They do say… “Sevilla es una maravilla” :grin: (Seville is marvelous.) I studied for a semester of university in Cadiz and it was amazing (I ended up staying several more months than I had originally planned so I was there for almost a year.) Michel, did you end up going?
@pancreaswanted so true about it being empty in the hot summer months! Everyone does indeed head for the cooler spots. Andalucia IS so cheerful and full of spark! Lots of love for Andalucia in my heart!

1 Like

@Sofe, welcome to the forum!

Yes, we did go, and we are still there! Have been in Andalucia since September. We settled in Granada. We LOVE Andalucia. But we are only here until the end of the month. I will regret it so much!

Although the rest of our trip is taking us to Italy and Greece—can’t be all bad :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you haven’t been before, I can guarantee you will learn more about the history in Italy. When I was in Greece, I had an enjoyable morning and was excited to learn about the Parthenon, and expected to get to the top of the Acropolis and read all of the amazing history of the place by reading the very informative placards that are usually around sites of this historic magnitude. Instead, there was one placard, it said “Parthenon”. I then wandered into a store, bought a book and proceeded to do the historic learning thing. Pretty amazing to be able to stand in front of a building that was built in 438 BC.

Suffice it to say, I learned more history in Italy, but Greece has some amazing sites to view.

2 Likes

Hey @CodyA, we have a lot in common! I was diagnosed at the age of 8, and my daughter was diagnosed at the age of 12 in October 2005. I am using a pump (Omnipod) and my daughter is using syringes with Humalog and Lantus. Welcome!

2 Likes

Hi everyone, my name is Kalle. I was diagnosed as Type 1 just two months ago at the age of 26. My uncle has had T1 since he was a kid back in the 70’s, so that’s some family history. In addition to him, there’s a friend I lived with at university, my second cousin, a close friend of my mother, and several other people, who all have Type 1 as well. Reading about others who haven’t known anyone else with the same condition, it almost seems weird that I know so many. I do live in Sweden though, where we have the second highest incidence of Type 1 in the world.

My strategy if to turn this thing into something of a hobby. Even though it sucked when I was diagnosed, I am somehow also able to find it very interesting. This means that I genuinely enjoy reading up on it a much as I can, and in doing so, I came across this place. The posts around here really inspire me to be constructive and figure things out. It took me a while to sign up for an account and introduce myself, but I just had to read the entire topic before posting. That’s some kind of principle of online forums, right? :wink:

14 Likes

@kalle, I am really sorry about your diagnosis, but I am thrilled to see your amazing spirit!

Here we all believe that we are unlimited by diabetes, and that only we are responsible for treating and managing it. Welcome to the forum. I really look forward to reading more of you!

3 Likes

Welcome @kalle!! I love your viewpoint on seeing diabetes management as a hobby. I’ve found that keeping interests and curiosity peaked help with continuously experimenting and figuring out what works best for me! I’m excited to see your posts here on FUD!

2 Likes

Hi @kalle, welcome!

My experiences are quite similar, I have family with T1D and I meet/see people with T1D everywhere. I don’t know what the incidence rate of T1D in the Netherlands is compared to Sweden.

Agreed, there’s something weirdly interesting about diabetes or maybe any disease that concerns oneself.

2 Likes

Welcome @kalle! I am really sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but really look forward to your posts. Hang in there, the first few months are a tough adjustment, both from having to learn everything at once, but also the need to think about this disease so often.

1 Like

Hi Kalle, and welcome to the forum. I applaud your positive attitude!

I was diagnosed at about the same age, and the medical people told me I was lucky, because “the cure is just around the corner.” That was in 1972. It has become a hobby for me as well, and for those of us who like tech stuff the last decade has been a bonanza. My current glucose reading is on my wrist. In the beginning we peed on little yellow strips, and if they turned green it meant we had been spilling sugar. At some point. I had begun having pins and needles in my feet when I got out of bed in the morning, and that went away shortly after I got my first meter and could actually see what my glucose levels were between doctor visits. Now the tech part has really taken off.

If you want to live a long diabetic life, pay attention to the medical advice on exercise, and set aside the time to incorporate fitness activities into your routine. In the long run that has counted more for me than my A1c.

5 Likes

Thank you all for the warm welcome! I’m sure I’ll have many opportunities to dive into the discussions as i experience more and more of this. After all, I’m not really going anywhere soon :slight_smile:

I’m very grateful to have been diagnosed in this time. I got a Libre right away and the graphs on that thing are amazing. Compared to those of you who have experienced the treatment of earlier times, I feel I have relatively little to complain about.

8 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: Geographic variation in T1 incidence: why?

Welcome @kalla!