Welcome, introduce yourself here!

@anon15668421 Hi Shelly. Are you as big a troublemaker as @Sam is? :cheeky:
If no, Welcome! If yes, Welcome!

4 Likes

Well sheā€™s just as obnoxious as me, but without the charm and humorā€¦

And Iā€™m not a trouble maker

4 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m Kris, married to Chris (no we did not name any of our children ā€œChrisā€). We have two sons and Son #2 was diagnosed a little over year ago with T1. He is now 14 ā€œall thatā€ with a wry sense of humor, a Dexcom G5, and a Tandem X2 pump. He manages control mostly on his own, with texts for second opinions on carb counts or dosing a little more or less than calculated based on trends. He was in tight control within weeks of diagnosis thanks mainly to Chrisā€™ scientific penchant for data, graphs and cooking from scratch. Son#2 took over after his A1c was in the sevens a month later. Puberty is now in full swing and messing with his desire to consistently fall in his desired range 100% of the time.

I am a scientist by training, program and project manager by occupation, and controller of teenagers by necessity. Hiking and backpacking have been my favorite hobby for 20+ years. Natural resources, specifically forest, are my home turf and where I feel most at home, centered, and ā€œme.ā€ Weā€™ve brought our kids up backpacking and our first wilderness expedition post-diagnosis is already completed. Iā€™m blessed Chris and I still enjoy each otherā€™s company after a few decades together. Iā€™ve also learned an amazing range of new words and attitudes from him when ā€œhis military is showing.ā€ It keeps it interesting and provides many belly laughs.

9 Likes

Welcome Kris!

Kris, it is great to see you join here! My son is 12, and also in fairly right control but never quite where we wish he were:-) and my wife is also a member here ā€“ so I have to watch my tongueā€¦

We have a lot of things in common. A few are:

• I am also ex-services (Navy)

• My wife is/ was manager of a business unit and project managed company-wide projects for her corp.

• We have done a lot of camping over the years (typically 4 weeks a year), although little of it was backpacking (we are sailors and river rafters more than backpackers)

3 Likes

Nice to meet you, too. Iā€™m a sailor as well but the only one in my family who could tell a jib from a jibe. I recently tagged a half day onto a San Diego business trip to sail a rented 22ā€™ around Mission Bay mid-week. So fun! Strong offshore, clear bay, no jet skis, and a stunning sunset. Sighā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™ve dabbled a bit on boats as well

What on your boats is only 22 feet?

The life rafts maybe? Not sureā€¦ ironic thing is Iā€™m a complete nincompoop on small boatsā€¦ which is uncomfortable because everyone has such high expectationsā€¦

Hi, Iā€™m Mike. Thanks Sam, an old buddy from Tu, for the invite. We had commiserated a lot, FlatlinersClub, various threads, years ago.

T1 33 years now, do ok at it but worst A1C since 2010 recently, 5.6, breaking a streak of 4.9-5.2 going back to 2013. Oh well, #dontseetheendothedayafteryougetbackfromVegas

8 Likes

Welcome Mike! That A1C is still the envy of many! :slight_smile:

Nice to have you!

1 Like

5.6ā€¦ what a slackerā€¦ welcome aboard Mike, glad youā€™re here. Weā€™ll be opening the doors to the public here soon. When I first was diagnosed with diabetes talking with you online was instrumental in helping me realize you donā€™t have to be limited by diabetes.

Hey, welcome here Mike!

Mike, so glad to see you here!

One of you is going to have to change your avatar to something other than ā€˜Mā€™ or itā€™s going to get too confusing

Iā€™m changing mine to the Sam picture.

I totally think you should stop advertizing for ReliOn.

Next time I throw one down like that I will try to get it on a different meter, but there are no guarantees. If you screw up just a few days you have to start all over.

My lowest ever from a real lab was 4.9 most recent was 5.2ā€¦ I donā€™t bother with the home tests anymore bc my wife works at a clinic that has a real a1c machine that tests from a finger stickā€¦ I assume itā€™s more accurate

1 Like

That would be a cool machine to have access to.