Welcome, introduce yourself here!

Hello my name is Erin. You all know my husband Harold (aka @ClaudnDaye ). I’m not as verbose as he is, so I will be brief. As you probably already know, we have a 3 year old with T1 Diabetes who was diagnosed a little over a year ago. We live in Virginia with our five kids (together) and four cats. It’s nice to meet everyone and I look forward to any helpful info and support provided. Thanks!

8 Likes

Funny!

I guess that would apply to me too :slight_smile: – the verbose part.

Welcome!!!

3 Likes

Welcome, Erin!

So glad to have you on board! We’ve all enjoyed getting to know Harold. And hope to get to know you too. It sounds like you two are such a good team for your son. Well done! You give us all hope.

1 Like

Erin and I have been married for going on 19 years…a little back-story in case I’ve never shared it…I like to tell the story because I think it’s a pretty cool story. :slight_smile:

So, it was 1997…I was stationed in Ft. Hood, TX and she was still living at home with her parents…she was just shy of her 18th birthday. Yeah, okay…so maybe I was wrong a little. Anyway, we were both into this same MMORPG Text-Based Role Playing Game called “Dragonrealms”. I was a mighty Warrior Mage and she, a quiet and beautiful Elven Moon Mage. We had never met. Then, one day, I was down this dark, wet and cold mine-shaft hunting these creatures known as reavers. In the same room I was hunting in, there was ivy or some type of vegetation along the wall that someone could climb up and down from the top of the mineshaft, down to the room that I was hunting in…that is, if their “climbing skill” was high enough to achieve such a treacherous climb. Needless to say, her climbing wasn’t quite up to par.

She came crashing down on the floor before me and died instantly.

There I was…a mighty Warrior Mage (one of the highest levels in the game at that time), blood stained clothing from all the blood I had shed in that dark and dreary place. But when I looked upon this beautiful (albeit, bloody…and…dead) Elven lass, I knew I had to get her to some help. I communicated over the mental airwaves in search of an Empath to heal her wounds, and for a Cleric to rezz her poor, cold, lifeless carcass of a body. I dragged her lifeless body from room to room for about twenty minutes until I got her to the spot where she was able to get help, and be resurrected.

She was even more beautiful when she was resurrected…with all the blood put back, broken bones protruding from her body mended and her intestines put back inside her body, etc., etc.,

But we didn’t talk at that time…I just ran back to my favorite hunting spot in the bottom of that Reaver mine-shaft. Well, what do you know? Later that day, I began being shadowed by that lovely Elven lass…we began to talk in the game and really hit it off. Then, before ever meeting in real life, talking on the phone, or anything (this was before social media so no Skype, etc.,…the old fashioned telephone is how we communicated back then), we had a royal wedding in the game. Yes, we were married in-game prior to ever even uttering a word to each other in real life.

Not sure quite when we decided to begin chatting in real life, but at some point we did. She had turned 18, and I was 25 years old, still stationed in Ft. Hood. We started talking on the telephone more and more frequently, and, then it was decided that we had to meet in real life! So what does she do?

Her sister lived in Oklahoma so she asked her parents to fly her out there! Well, the layover for her flight was in Houston…so I’m sure you can imagine what happened. Yes, I picked her up at the Houston Airport and we drove to my house in Copperas Cove, TX. Although she was a legal adult I advised her multiple times that she should call her parents because they would be worried about her. She said she would…but not immediately because, and I quote “They won’t be able to get any missing persons report started until a full day passes.” Well, that wasn’t the case as it turned out. Her parents had flyers made up within hours of her not showing up at the airport in Oklahoma. The police had searched her computer and found out who I was and where I lived. Her father and brothers were planning a flight out to TX.

Fortunately, Erin ended up calling them in time and letting them know what had transpired, where she was, and that she was totally fine. We still have a “missing persons” flyer in storage somewhere from those days.

So, fast forward to today - nearly 20 years later, 5 children later and I have to say that Erin has been my saving grace throughout our marriage. She’s kept me grounded, sane and she’s proven herself to be the best mother and wife that I could have ever imagined meeting. Every day we’re happier…DESPITE our struggles and I really owe most of that to her.

So, that’s it…it wasn’t necessary, but I like to tell our story whenever I can because I think it’s a cool story of how two people met (before dating or other social media sites existed) on the internet some 20 years ago.

Please note that I fully expect her to correct some of my posts because she has a much better memory than I do. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Hello! My husband and I live in Washington state with our 4 kids and 2 dogs—an ancient Cairn Terrier and a Giant Schnauzer who loves to eat forbidden foods and make giant messes afterward. We’ve been here tor a couple of years and are loving life in the Pacific Northwest (annoying dogs notwithstanding)!

I was diagnosed with LADA last spring after having been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. When it didn’t resolve after delivery, I requested antibodies testing (over against my former practitioner’s wish), which came back positive. I’m currently using the ever-faithful Dexcom G5 and an Omnipod for insulin delivery. Both of these tools I’m finding to be indispensable for my management. I’ve also recently begun Metformin ER to try to help with insulin resistance, but that is very new.

My mother had been diagnosed with diabetes too, but since the was a Lupus/MS patient, her diabetes was ascribed to her long-term steroid use. Now I have to wonder if it wasn’t also autoimmune, but we’ll never know for sure. Either way, I’m planning to have our children tested for antibodies annually through TrialNet.

So glad to have a forum like this!

6 Likes

Harold: I guess Erin was right… :wink:

JK - great story!

3 Likes

Irish - that was really smart. And it KILLS me to read you had to go against your GP.

Somehow we should open up a subcat about PWD’s relationship with the medical profession. But I am a bit worried about doing that as well…

1 Like

This is such a wonderful thing to write, and also to read :slight_smile: It’s my feel-good moment for the day!

2 Likes

That is a wild story! So glad you shared it!

Have her parents forgiven you? Or did her brothers decide to come for you even after she called?

2 Likes

It took them a year or two, but they finally warmed up to me. :stuck_out_tongue: They didn’t come out to drag their sister home. She basically let them know she was an adult and the trip would be wasted if they did come out. She surprised her parents and her brothers because, prior to this incident, she was an angel who had never done anything at all wrong, or crazy, like this event.

We sometimes talk about just how crazy this was because I COULD HAVE been a serial killer!

1 Like

Maria, you’re here! I’m so glad, I literally was just trying to look you up today. Glad you found your way in here! Introduce yourself please! @walkingthedragon88

1 Like

Hiiii!!! I am late to the party but I am here . My name is Maria. I am (almost) 29. I am a scientist (Ph.D.) I have had type 1 for 10 years (maybe a bit longer). My A1C bounced around between 6-8 % (sometimes a bit higher) until I went low carb about 20 months ago. In the last 20 months I have experienced normal (<5.7% A1Cs) for the first time in my life with diabetes. Imagine that. I also had my first kid (a baby girl, it was quite a smooth-sailing pregnancy, actually). Anyway, I use Levemir and Humalog pens and a Dexcom sometimes. I blog (semi-anonymously) at walkthedragon88.blogspot.com although I know many of you know who I am IRL :slight_smile: cheers

9 Likes

So glad to see you Maria!!!

What a great story about your low carb conversion! Britt will be so pleased to see you here, as she was the token Bernsteinian so far:-) Although many of us eat LC at some level and in some circumstances.

2 Likes

I moved from OH (after 6 years) to NH last year. I am envious of the current OH cherry blossoms :slight_smile:

Yes, sorry it took me so long. I am bad at checking that email :grimacing:Very glad to be here!

1 Like

Welcome, Maria! Your story sounds much like my own, though I’m going on 12 years next month. (But who’s counting? :wink:)

Congrats on your Baby Girl! :cherry_blossom:

3 Likes

Hello everyone! I have been married to my best friend who is @Sam for almost ten years now. As he mentioned previously we have two beautiful children, a daughter who is 7 and a son who is 5. We live in a small town in Alaska and I am a certified RN and currently in graduate school working towards my DNP. Looking forward to getting to know you all better.

6 Likes

Married to Sam? Bless you Shelly.
Ha, just kidding. :grinning:

Welcome and thanks for joining us!

3 Likes

Welcome!

Welcome Shelly!

We all have a great deal of admiration for you! It takes 30 of us to deal with an hour a day of Sam:-)

Kidding aside, it is great to have you with us.

3 Likes