Welcome, introduce yourself here!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiMQaJVZgIyI36et-lrizJQ

I’m also DEFINITELY not an expert, but I have put in a LOT of time with this 670 and with the sensor trying to get it to do something right for me.

I just included a link to my YouTube channel which is very relevant to anything 670G related. I hope this isn’t taken as self-promoting. If so, please delete! I’m just sharing what info I have before going onto taking advantage of whatever you’ve got. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, that’s a lot of stuff. Thanks for sharing.

I started watching but there is a lot of stuff there so it will take me a while to get through it all.

But I would suggest starting a thread and sharing your link on a thread specific to the 670G. Putting it here is fine, but it will eventually be lost as more people join and the link gets lost in the middle of the “Welcome” thread.

If you start a thread with 670G in the title, it will be easier for people to find it with a search months from now. :wink:

Yes, please do–we all learn from each other, that’s the point!

Oh, I absolutely hadn’t sent it thinking you would watch it all… didn’t even expect you to watch any. :slight_smile: Again, I’m here for very selfish reasons and that is to gather what I can to figure out my own numbers. I do make YouTube videos and I run a Facebook group now, and they both keep me busy. I’m here just taking care of myself. :smiley:

I also would be happy to start a thread on the 670 with a link to the videos but only if you guys WANT it to be here. I feel like it’s some pretty thorough information in there, and it’s well-thought out, and I do like to make it available to those on a particular search… a search to understand their numbers when their 670 ISN’T doing what they’d like. But honestly I like this site very much, and I don’t want to contribute something that’s not a good fit. I came to cruise for information and for some thought-provoking exchanges and have already started enjoying myself in that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Nickyghaleb, please feel free to share the link. I think I’ve seen it anyway (if you’re talking about the “Food for Thought” video?) Good video! :stuck_out_tongue: We won’t be going to the 670g, but I have a work friend who has a daughter who finally got on hers, and there are other members here that do use it.

We’re waiting for the closed loop Omnipod system to come out and wait for the 2nd or 3rd generation of those before we ever move into these systems. Currently, we’re maintaining a good A1C for our son using the CGM/Omnipod.

FUD is approaching 1,000 years of combined experience (possibly exceeded it at this point) for our members diabetes management. If you’re relatively new (anyone reading) and haven’t entered your years, feel free to do so! :stuck_out_tongue: Combined Years

2 Likes

“Experts” as defined by me (you don’t find this in any dictionary except maybe on an FUD dictionary if we create one.)

So an Expert is someone who has the following traits (this is my list and my thoughts on the matter):

1. Interest in learning and doing so every day with regards to Diabetes
  2. Many years experience in good diabetes management (between 5% = 7% A1C). Some a bit higher, some a bit lower.
  3. Some of our members have been living with diabetes for over 70 years and others have only been living with it for a few months…but the secret to our community is that those who have lived with diabetes for many years are willing to pass on their knowledge to those who are not as experienced. This helps those less experienced and educated to become more experienced and educated.
  4. Some of our members (@Eric) are rare breeds in that they take all those “myths” and test them thoroughly to see what the outcome is. For instance, he’s proven that insulin sitting in a hot car for weeks is still fine (yes, he uses this insulin on himself in these tests.) Insulin that’s frozen for x number of weeks/months/years is still ok…again, through personal testing.
  5. A true willingness to learn and accept that no one knows everything, but collectively our knowledge is vast.
  6. So although I don’t believe anyone here has any “professional diabetes certification or degrees”, we come here BECAUSE that’s true. For our son, Liam, our Endo was happy having us keep his BG’s at or above 300 all day. Nevermind what this does to him in the future with all the ‘apathy’s’ that result from poor management early on (hyperglycemia). So we come here to get REAL advise from REAL people living with the disease who have GOOD management.
  7. Another thing that stands us apart from other sites is that you will find most members ABLE and WILLING to walk any member step by step through any struggles that they may be having, to help them figure out how to fix it. We want people to feel UNLIMITED despite diabetes. Whatever we can do to help members reach that goal, that’s what we want to do for them. Life is too short to be chained by this disease. Just deal with problems, fix them, move on and enjoy life.

I think you’ll find, if you hang around, that there is SO MUCH knowledge (yours included) that go into helping this community grow and be as strong as it is. We are interested in LEARNING, and that’s what makes a prospective expert, an expert.

5 Likes

Oh good. I was hoping there were no real experts. They make me nervous. They tend to know everything… even when they don’t. :grin:

3 Likes

I really am pleased to be here. I hope my questions didn’t turn anyone off… I was only making sure I wasn’t out of my league. And although I still might be, if learning, curiosity, passion, exploration, and/or cooperative thinking hold any weight, then I’m probably not. :slightly_smiling_face: Thank you for such a nice welcome, and I’ll be off to see what’s around. :grin:

2 Likes

Welcome Nicky! So glad you’re here – there are so many great people on this site!

2 Likes

The 670G is definitely a serious commitment. I’m happy to be on it as I don’t mind putting in all of this time right now, but waiting on the next one isn’t a bad idea. The technology, as advanced as it is, is definitely going to have a hard time up against the disease. They are each, in their own right, very smart, and to watch them duke it out is interesting. Too bad it’s gotta be in our bodies.

1 Like

Oh, I don’t need to be a real expert to have that kind of arrogance. Mansplaining doesn’t require any expertise at all.

So far, this site seems remarkably free of biters and trolls. Just dive in thoughtfully and enjoy the conversation.

I’m also curious to see how the various hybrid closed-loop systems develop. The 670G (by reputation) is a black box with very few exposed knobs, and they seem to discourage fiddling with it to try to change its behavoir. And it takes a million button presses to accomplish anything. The open-source LOOP software is almost the complete opposite. Operating it takes about the minimum possible number of keystrokes, which is very convenient. And it’s behavior is completely transparent and predictable; they don’t “learn” anything about how your body works to make secret adjustments to their behavior, they simply take the data you enter, predict your future BG, and administer insulin based on the prediction. (With minor adjustments based on the difference between predicted BG and what actually happens.) They give graphs to help you figure out why the predictions differed from reality, and then you are supposed to go back and change the data (carbs, etc) you entered so that they can properly correct their dosing calculations to compensate for the past errors.

I’m very much looking forward to future systems that have more of a sugar-surfing approach, where if the BG keeps rising despite their predictions that it will turn down, they’ll ask you to verify that you’re carrying glucose tabs and if you say yes, they’ll try much harder to bring down the BG, based more on observed behavior and less on prediction. I’m quite curious to see the nature of the Tandem/Bigfoot hybrid closed-loop system that should come out for the t:slim in 2019.

3 Likes

I didn’t know whether or not I was going to really get anything from this site when I joined, but I definitely didn’t think I was going to fall in love with it. I’ve just fallen in love.

Just this morning I’ve gotten so much… I won’t even attempt to sum it up. I’ll just take my phone upstairs, cuddle up, and reread…

And that all happened BEFORE you admitted manslaining. Did you really just admit that? I think I’m dreaming. :grin:

What IS the open loop software?? I don’t have the slightest idea what that is. I’ve been killing myself tracking BGs and SGs and calibration factors. I’ve been studying PID controllers, trying to figure what the profanity my pump is doing stopping my insulin when my BG is a 240…and RISING. And here, you talk at ease about
something that checks with you if you have your tablets before going hard on bringing you down?? How CONSIDERATE. How POLAR OPPOSITE of what auto mode does for me which is to quietly withhold ALL insulin for HOURS without so much as a whisper.

You struck a chord. It seems. :rage:

2 Likes

There’s a good introduction on our site to one of the open-source looping projects at Loop: Getting Started and my story is at How I got started on Loop

They aren’t that good yet, but I’m looking forward to something like that in the future. I’m vaguely toying with the idea of attempting it myself, but coding into a large system like LOOP is nothing like any software I’ve written before.

1 Like

Oh, and thank you. :blush: that was my video. The 670G has turned me into a video-making mad scientist. It’s been almost fun to see what kind of crazy things this pump will come up with and to take note and warn others. :grin: I’ve made 100 videos. If I had paid employment, I would be doing something else. :grin:

1 Like

Omgoodness, hope I did this right!

Type 1, dx’d 1978 at the age of 4. The diashmeetes has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember; am fairly certain some of my earliest retained memories rotate around it. Peeing into a plastic hat and playing with chems in test tubes? Yep. The first glucometer that was around half the size of a PS3 gaming module? Carried it around, cheated it. A Disatronic H-Tron (with back-up pump, which I lovingly named One of Two and Two of Two per Borg naming rules)… yep.

Dx’d with Graves’ Disease in 2000. Thyroid radioactively ablated that year; been on thyroid meds to manage since.

I live life to the fullest. Working as a lead cidermaker for a Portland OR-based cidery… 55-60 hours a week yipes :slight_smile: Love to camp, hike, and drink beer. Healthy according to all the medical tests, other than getting older lol…

Have a very supportive hubby in my corner and cannot be thankful enough for all he has done and continues to do.

Currently using a 670G. Definitely a learning experience and lots of transition from previous pumping and MDI experience (pretty much threw that knowledge to the side). That being said, am in awe of having BG levels remain around 100-120 a night! Getting a good night of sleep makes such a difference.

At any rate, that’s my spiel. If you have questions let me know… otherwise, much health and peace!

5 Likes

Hello. :slightly_smiling_face: I’m also new here. Very nice to meet you. :grin:

1 Like

I have done a good bit of beer making. And I sometimes drink cider for lows.
:wink:

Anyway, since diabetes gets boring sometimes, please feel free to post about drinks in the fun category. I think there is a picture of a still floating around this site somewhere. :crazy_face:

And welcome to FUD, BTW.

4 Likes

Glad your diameters is under control. It really sucks when diashmeetes overtakes or lives and keeps us from doing what we love.

BTW, have I told you how much I like the word diashmeetes?

And, Welcome!

3 Likes

Welcome @DeeM, glad you found us. Like you we live in the PDX area and love to do the backpacking, hiking, and general outdoor carousing that makes the PNW a great place in the summer.

Which cider are you responsible for, we have many gluten free friends and there is frequently tons of good cider around.

3 Likes