Welcome, introduce yourself here!

Welcome to the site, Allison!

You are in the right place. Lot of friendly experience here!

If you would like, start a thread about this and you can get a lot of info. I did MDI for a crazy amount of years (44+ years :crazy_face:), but then I switched to the pump (only for athletic reasons).

It was different and took a bit of adjustment, but I eventually got it figured out. If you would like, we can discuss things about it.

3 Likes

Awesome, Iā€™m glad you joined. I had similar career concerns with my diagnosis, but fortunately the dust settled and it turned out ok for me. I find it so interesting that some people have better results and less stress with mdi than with a pump, but they switch to the pump and stay with itā€¦ I think itā€™s a phenomenon worth exploring, I too hope youā€™ll discuss that experience moreā€¦

Welcome

3 Likes

Welcome from another Allison! I was also diagnosed right around Halloween, but at age 8, so never got the chance to fly! Also tried Omnipod but I had lots of skin issues and didnā€™t like the bulk of it and the PDM so am back to MDI (Medtronic has been way better for me in the past). Anyway just wanted to say hi, and sorry you had to add T1 to your name :wink:

2 Likes

Hi Everyone!

My name is Tali and I live in Michigan with my husband and 2 kids. I was diagnosed with type 1 at age 17 right smack in the middle os a huge rebellion. Took me till the age of 32 and after the births of noth my kids to finally get my act together, It has taken a long time to accept it but now I am moving forward and making goals. I am currently managing with a T-Slim Tandem and just got started with a dexcom two weeks ago,

I have really fallen in LOVE with weight lifting and plan on competing in 2 years in a bodybuilding competition in the bikini division. I am trying to learn and research as much as I can to do this safely with diabetes. Not much info out there so I am hoping to learn with you all and maybe pick some brains for ideas. Nutrition is my biggest battle i think. Canā€™t wait to get to meet you all and finally not feel so alone!! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Welcome @T1Allison and Tali @phillips4adventure and so glad youā€™ve joined our band of merry ā€œunlimitedsā€!! Itā€™s a wonderfully knowledgeable and helpful group. Looking forward to your posts.

Lisa

2 Likes

Welcome @phillips4adventure, my son lifts weights, although he doesnā€™t body build, he just does it to get better at his other sports.

Every successful body building weight lifter I have ever met has obsessed over the nutrition, so that definitely will be a battle worth taking on.

As for issues when weight lifting, when lifting heavy my sonā€™s blood sugar spikes most of the time. I say that because some of the time it doesnā€™t. Since you are getting started with Dexcom I think you will be well armed to decide when things need to be dosed for. Please share your ups and downs with weightlifting, we donā€™t have as much info on that as some of the other sports.

1 Like

Hi phillips4adventure. Looking forward to reading your posts.

You can do everything the same from a nutrition standpoint as you would if you were non-diabetic, you just need to work on the manual adjustments of insulin.

To fuel your activity you are primarily using the a) ATP-CP system which uses the breakdown of Creatine Phosphate to obtain the phosphate molecule to use for ATP production, and b) muscle glycogen.

I would guess you sometimes see spikes when you workout and BG drops when you are finished. I would also guess you have to lower your basal during the weeks leading up to competitions when you are dropping fat.

Would love to chat about it sometime!

2 Likes

@Eric I would love to chat about this! Iā€™m still trying to figure out basal rates and bolus action needed. I have never competed and now that I have set the goal of a competition I want to be smart about it. My sugars tend to spike right after I lift and then plummet around 4 hours after. I am currently trying to work on the nutrition aspect of it all too. I want to lower my carbs but not too drastically at this point since I am still in the ā€œgainingā€ phase and will be for awhile. Also lowering carb in take will obviously help with my sugar stabling out. Having some others opinions on the approach i think would be great.

This community seems like it is full of great people who are outside the box thinkers and willing to help.

5 Likes

@Tali, just want to chime in and say that @Ericā€™s really fabulous at figuring out how to tailor the insulin and food regimen to match exercise!

6 Likes

Hi!
My name is Nicky, and I came across a thread in here having to do with the 670G the other day, and I fell in love with the open discussion. Iā€™m not entirely sure what else you all are doing in here, but I bet itā€™s just as good. :smiley:

A quick bit about me is that Iā€™m 41 years old and was diagnosed at 27 following being told I had gestational diabetes during my first pregnancy. Within a couple of years my a1c was up above a 16%, I was depressed, and I was doing a lot of damage at an alarming rate. It was a TOUGH transition going from what I thought was a very healthy lifestyle and overall good health to being told to do 25-30 shots a day and test and whatever else ā€œtheyā€ wanted. I didnā€™t do it particularly well. Over the next couple of years my son was diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder, I had an early melanoma (which set off biopsy and re-excision schedule for the next couple of years that was ridiculous), and I ended up having brain surgery for an unrelated condition that eaten away 85% of my spinal canal. I was told there would be no more babies.

Two pregnancies laterā€¦ :D. As terrible as I was with my diabetes care, I KILLED it during those two pregnancies, not even LOOKING at a carb, and all 3 of us made it out alive. My second was a micropreemie, weighing in at just 2 lbs, and my last one just gave us a good diabetes-pregnancy-fright. Theyā€™re both big and loud and demanding now without so much of a scratch.

14 years later, I finally learned how to start paying attention to my disease. Not a minute too soon. Iā€™ve developed early retinopathy and neuropathy, and all signs are pointing to some autonomic features. Iā€™m not sure how this will all end (well, I am actually, but HOW it will happen), but I am giving this everything Iā€™ve got to try to stop this thing in its tracks. Iā€™ve got three boys who are going to need me to be healthy and strong, and I want to do that for them. I also want to do it for myself.

This was not a quick bit. Iā€™m not capable of being quick, try as I might. I will wrap it up by saying Iā€™m on the 670g, and itā€™s been quite a ride. It hasnā€™t only been tough with the diabetes but an emotional ride as well. I know Iā€™m not alone in struggling on it, and Iā€™m always looking for a place where people can be positive about the DISEASE but feel free to say what they want about the pump. WHEW. Thatā€™s all Iā€™ve got. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Hi Nicky,
Glad you posted here.

There are experts in all kinds of things here. CGM experts, pump experts, Afrezza, Tresiba, any of the rapids - whatever you want to learn, just post and someone will know about it!

2 Likes

Welcome @Nickyghaleb! This is the goal of FUD - to have members who are relaxed enough with one another that they can feel more like family with one another in sharing what works, what doesnā€™t, vent if you feel like it and just be there to answer each others questions in a friendly way (the same way we would want to be answered.)

We believe that the only limiting factor in your life is you, not diabetes. If you choose to be unlimited, you can do so EVEN IF you have T1/T2.

Nice to have you!

3 Likes

Thatā€™s my kind of place. :grin:

1 Like

Expertsā€¦ Maybe I donā€™t know what this isā€¦ I have been working very hard on understanding my pump and sensor for about the last year. I get my own data through rigorous testing and try to read scholarly articles to fill in the gaps. Experts in what regard? Sorry if I am taking your use of it too literally. I just got overly excited. Iā€™m perfectly okay with just chatting as well. :grin:

Well, maybe ā€œexperiencedā€ is a better word.

But in the context of knowing about the 670G compared to the average user of the 670, I think @drbbennett qualifies as an expert.

1 Like

@Nickyghaleb We are ā€œexpertsā€ because we have collectively done just about every insulin, pump, Bg meter etc. in just about every way possible. We are doctors, scientists, and even ship captains.

Welcome, and please take advantage of us!

2 Likes

Hi Nicky, and welcome! Sounds like youā€™ve got plenty to deal with without having to manage the big D on top of itā€“you have my sympathy and deepest respect for all youā€™re handling.

Dunno if you stumbled across my own 670G thread, but itā€™s here, if not. I also wrote about my experiences with it on our sister site here and here. Iā€™m by no means a certified expert but I learned a lot through my experience with it and Iā€™m happy to help if I can.

4 Likes

Hello! I just read through your posts. Very nice! I have also done quite a bit of work with the 670 and donā€™t know if itā€™s appropriate to share a video title with you? It had not been my intent, but now I feel I would like you to know some of what Iā€™ve figured out with this pump and would be happy to share if appropriate. If not, no worries.

Well then an expert without the certification !!!

You can share whatever you like. Personal experiences with anything D related are definitely appreciated.