Welcome, introduce yourself here!

Wow, how coincidental! Our son was diagnosed Feb 29th, 2016. He was 26 months old. So glad to have you here!

3 Likes

@type1_toddler Welcome! Iā€™m sure you will find lots of great real life information here provided by the parents of t1ā€™s.

And I hope you find some solace from the fact that we have many 40+ year t1ā€™s are are doing just fine, and continue to live a life unlimited.

3 Likes

Welcome aboard! This site is proving to be a great collection of parents with young children.

4 Likes

@type1_toddler, what a difficult experience it must have been ā€“ and yet you guys like like you were able to take it in stride and deal with it so well ā€“ this is AWESOME!

Of all of us, you guys have the hardest task ā€“ toddlers seem to be the hardest profile to control. We have a lot of parents with toddlers on the site!

It is GREAT that you have both. They make such a difference for younger children!

Welcome to the community, Sarah: I really look forward to your posts :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome Sarah! Such a great place to learn! Glad youā€™re here.

Lisa

2 Likes

Iā€™m Carolyn in CO. Unexpectedly spend all of Memorial Day Weekend in the hospital with DKA- bg was 600 and a1c 12.5 after going to urgent care thinking I had a UTI. Iā€™m a runner. I swim sometimes and bike sometimes too. I had to delay my planned solo thru-hike of the Colorado trail, but still did a couple marathons, and biked a 100k this summer.

My a1c 2 weeks ago was 5.5. I just got a dexcom last week. Iā€™m a CPA/math major so all the data has made me obsessive. Iā€™m honeymooning a lot so its a bit easier to manage for me so far but my ratios are all over the place since it depends on how well my pancreas works that meal. My c-peptide was 0.3 in the hospital but its (temporarily) up to 1.7 (normal) 2 weeks ago when I had other labs done. That doesnā€™t make sense to me since I do need some insulin, especially basal and breakfast. I figured out how to get my bg onto my Garmin the day I got the dexcom and its awesome. Iā€™ve been browsing this forum since about the start and it seem like this is where I fit in the best with the other data obsessed athletes.

7 Likes

Welcome again, Carolyn!

What a bummer ā€“ so sorry about your diagnosis:( My son, who spends many hours in sports every week, also got his diagnosis the same way, DKA in the EU, same A1c as you at the time, and also now :slight_smile:

This tool changed our life. You can be so much more corrective, and so much more quantitative too!

That is part of what makes honeymooning so challenging sometimes ā€“ although it also really nice to have part of the day easy to manage. Since you are LADA, you are likely to last longer in honeymoon that regular T1s [diagnosed earlier].

You will fit right in! Itā€™s great to see all your info in your profile, btw!

Wow, what an awesome transition! Gratz on the amazing work. A pleasure to meet you. My wife is an accountant also - MBA with concentration in Accounting, but no CPA yet. Sheā€™s tried for it on 4 occasionsā€¦all 4 times she managed to get one or two parts done in the year, then, since she wasnā€™t able to finish all 4 parts in the same year, she had to start all over again. Itā€™s a LOT of studying and, with 5 kids, she just hardly ever has any quiet time. Itā€™s on her to-do list, though. Her momā€™s a CPA who was a CFO for many years before retiring this past year.

2 Likes

Awesome! I passed it at 23 a couple years out of college with no dependents. Iā€™m sure that was much easier. Still no dependents except my dog, but Iā€™m planning on kids by myself in the near-ish future with a donor (dating just seems to get me hurt).

Thatā€™s my Watson!

8 Likes

Welcome here Carolyn!

I think there might be a few people here who like running. :grinning:

If you havenā€™t already seen it yet, there are a lot of threads in the Exercise category.

I look forward to your contributions!

1 Like

PM me to discuss donations. Kidding:) welcome to the group:). Thatā€™s a pretty impressive 5k time.

1 Like

Itā€™s like that awkward moment when the proctologist realizes his self-examination will be tougher than he thinksā€¦.

1 Like

Welcome, so glad you found our little corner of the web. The toddler parent group is growing by leaps and bounds! While my son was much older at diagnosis (12) he was the only one in our family to have T1 as well. I look forward to hearing more as you get acclimated.

2 Likes

Welcome! I have two boys in cross-country so I really enjoy reading the running threads.

2 Likes

Hi Sarah and Carolyn and Rob and Dragan! (Man, I fell behind! Look at all these new people! Yay!)

Iā€™m sure both the old timers and the new kids in town (or their parents) will be a great resource!

@type1_toddler Secretly, Iā€™m thankful you didnā€™t get diagnosed AT Disneyland, that wouldā€™ve been strange! (Although, maybe the doctors all wear mouse ears? And maybe itā€™s the happiest hospital on earth?!)

Everyone, youā€™ve found some cool people to learn from - I certainly appreciate this forum and have learned so much so quickly! And Iā€™m sure your stories and thoughts will add to the mix here!

6 Likes

Hi, my name is JĆ¼rgen,

T1D since 1984.
In the last few weeks I have discovered something new.
Currently Iā€™m following all the News and evolvement of #WeAreNotWaiting.
My current setup is:

Android Smartphone
Freestyle Libre FGM (I donā€™t have a CGM)
Sony Smartwatch 3 with special Firmware and NFC enabled.
LibreAlarm (scans every 10 minutes and transmitt the data to the smartphone)
xDrip+ (get the data and do the upload to my NightScout Web)
pebble smartwatch

More info on this thread (edited by @Michel)

2 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: xDrip+ with Sony Smartwatch3

@jroth, welcome to the forum, it is great to see you join! I am also very interested in your setup. This would certainly be worth a separate thread!

1 Like

@Michel
Iā€™m new here.
What would be the best title and the category of the thread?
Cloesd loop?
#WeAreNotWaiting?
continus BG monitoring?
self tuning?

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: xDrip+ with Sony Smartwatch3