Welcome, introduce yourself here!

Welcome @kalle!! I love your viewpoint on seeing diabetes management as a hobby. I’ve found that keeping interests and curiosity peaked help with continuously experimenting and figuring out what works best for me! I’m excited to see your posts here on FUD!

2 Likes

Hi @kalle, welcome!

My experiences are quite similar, I have family with T1D and I meet/see people with T1D everywhere. I don’t know what the incidence rate of T1D in the Netherlands is compared to Sweden.

Agreed, there’s something weirdly interesting about diabetes or maybe any disease that concerns oneself.

2 Likes

Welcome @kalle! I am really sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but really look forward to your posts. Hang in there, the first few months are a tough adjustment, both from having to learn everything at once, but also the need to think about this disease so often.

1 Like

Hi Kalle, and welcome to the forum. I applaud your positive attitude!

I was diagnosed at about the same age, and the medical people told me I was lucky, because “the cure is just around the corner.” That was in 1972. It has become a hobby for me as well, and for those of us who like tech stuff the last decade has been a bonanza. My current glucose reading is on my wrist. In the beginning we peed on little yellow strips, and if they turned green it meant we had been spilling sugar. At some point. I had begun having pins and needles in my feet when I got out of bed in the morning, and that went away shortly after I got my first meter and could actually see what my glucose levels were between doctor visits. Now the tech part has really taken off.

If you want to live a long diabetic life, pay attention to the medical advice on exercise, and set aside the time to incorporate fitness activities into your routine. In the long run that has counted more for me than my A1c.

5 Likes

Thank you all for the warm welcome! I’m sure I’ll have many opportunities to dive into the discussions as i experience more and more of this. After all, I’m not really going anywhere soon :slight_smile:

I’m very grateful to have been diagnosed in this time. I got a Libre right away and the graphs on that thing are amazing. Compared to those of you who have experienced the treatment of earlier times, I feel I have relatively little to complain about.

8 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: Geographic variation in T1 incidence: why?

Welcome @kalla!

A post was merged into an existing topic: Geographic variation in T1 incidence: why?

Hello Everyone. I have T1D and was diagnosed in 1976, so it been a long ride.

I like the “No Limits” attitude of the group here, and it is something I live by. I ride motorcycles, race sailboats, rock climb, and scuba dive every chance I get (all thing that someone has told me I couldn’t do with diabetes, I guess it’s a good thing I don’t listen to “you can’t do that”). I’ve never met a limit I couldn’t crush, walk over and move on.

If anyone has a question, please ask it freely. The only way to share information is to ask questions and see where the answers take us.

It is very nice to see I’m not the only one that occasionally has issues and problems.

10 Likes

Welcome, @MichaelS! So awesome to hear that you don’t let diabetes hold you back from anything :slight_smile: I look forward to your contributions. And don’t worry we all have issues with diabetes - that’s why we’re here! To problem solve and figure out some tools to help us not be held back by this disease

3 Likes

Welcome @MichaelS!!!

I’m excited to hear about your scuba diving adventures. I’m hoping to go to Iceland in the next couple of years, and apparently you can scuba dive between the tectonic plates there :astonished:

It’d be a short session - only 30 minutes in the water. I’d love to hear about your experiences and how you’ve handled scuba diving and D. Where have you dived? Do you use a pump or cgm? Do you start with a higher end bg level?

I think I’d have to get some sort of certification first. I need to do more research on that.

2 Likes

@LarissaW Thanks for the warm welcome. I look forward to amny long lasting friendships here.

2 Likes

12 posts were split to a new topic: Scuba Diving with Type 1

Hi, I’m an Aussie, have had T1D since 1978, so I’m heading for 41 years.
I’m a relatively recent convert to the DIY side of things, but oh, my, am I ever going back to commercial? No way!
I’m looping with AAPS, a Dana RS pump and Dex G5, via xdrip+.
I found this forum through google. Some of my more tech questions have been answered😊.
I enjoy playing music and martial arts, and making stuff. I work part time (not because of D, but because I have too many hobbies and interests to work full time).
I consider myself to be rather blessed in terms of health and enjoyment of life. I’m lucky to have survived the “control” of the 70s and 80s with no complications😛.

13 Likes

Hi, @Morrisminor72! Welcome! :grin:

Welcome to our little corner of the interwebs! Glad you have started posting, and with 41 years of D experience, I am sure you will be a great contributor. We are a mostly friendly group and look forward to hearing from you. Is that your cat in your avatar?

1 Like

Hi, @Mrrismino72 and welcome. You’ll have to share some of the other hobbies. Like you I have a lot of hobbies.

Which of the martial arts do you practice?

Unfortunately he is not MY cat, he belongs to my parents. I pretend he is mine. He is a delicious, funny, very friendly cat called Fluff. I can’t have my own because I work away from home, 2000km away from home. I visit my parents often, and spoil Fluff rotten😊.

2 Likes

I am about to return to aikido (Takemasu or Iwama style/pedagogy). I’ve been off with an injured knee for nearly 8 months. Two arthroscopies later, both looping, I have an industrial looking brace to protect it and am ready to go again. I miss it like mad, but the break has given me time to do DIY diabetes stuff.
Previously I practiced iaido, and actually have my Shodan in that discipline, but a bad tendon injury and reconstruction on my right wrist put an end to that.
If I sit very still I stay uninjured, but where is the fun in that?:stuck_out_tongue:
I did gymnastics and trampoline sports as a younger adult (not as a kid as I lived in the country, with no classes). I was always damaged in some way. Sigh.

2 Likes

Excellent! Welcome! I’m sure we will all appreciate your input in all things D related!

1 Like