Vitamin supplements : yes or no, what do you take?

i have been taking probiotices for years now. recently, my endo as well as my PCP recommended that i take vitamin D. well when i started adding the d, i figured why not take C and B complex.

i know that the probiotic helps me a lot; its helped my GP significantly as well as i am certain other tummy problems with digestion. now when i started taking the vitamin D, i noticed that my mood was lifted, so i decided to take it twice a day; if one is good than 2 must be better :wink: (no problems with that.) but i wonder about the other vitamins. do they actually help, or am i wasting my money?

anyone out there that has an opinion or a take on this matter? would love to hear it.

DM

@daisymae Didnā€™t your PCP prescribe 50,000 unit vitamin D when he recommended supplement? These are taken once per week, and should not be doubled up or taken more often. The OTC Vit D is almost like shooting blanks.

Doc, iā€™ve been taking only 5000, not 50,000. maybe my PCP told me to take the 50,000 and i made a mistake. i have been taking the 5.000 every day twice a day.

should i be increasing my dosage IYHO ?
DM

@daisymae The 50,000 unit capsule is prescription only, you canā€™t get it OTC. If you truly have a Vit D deficiency, which is very common these days, then you should be taking the 50,000 unit cap once a week.

Ask your PCP to include Vit D analysis on your next labs.

Our son was borderline low on vitamin D (a common thing with people who have T1D) , so he takes an 800 i.u. vitamin D3 everyday. Other than that he takes fiber gummies.

will do that. i donā€™t think that he made the recommendation based on any lab work; i think that he simply thought Vitamin D would be a good supplement for me to be on.

do you take any other supplements?

@daisymae No supplements. Iā€™m more into whole food. Probiotics are covered with a daily cup of yogurt (currently Skyr plain 6g carbs). I eat a lot of vegetables and nuts, and treat lows (which happens four or five times per week) with o.j. (sometimes donuts :smile:)

I think that phytonutrients are probably more beneficial than vitamin supplements, unless there is a confirmed vitamin deficiency.

1 Like

[quote=ā€œTiaG, post:5, topic:1456ā€]
so he takes an 800 i.u.

this is exactly what i am doing. have you heard from your doc that your son should be taking a higher dosage like docslotnick takes?

Well, heā€™s a toddler so Iā€™m guessing te dose he needs would be smaller than for an adult. But no, I actually had trouble finding 800 i.u. in a palatable form and was just giving him a 1000 i.u. gummy every 1.25 days and the doctor said that was too much.

So definitely not a huge dose like @docslotnick described.

i have pretty much the same diet. i eat a lot of fish, lean chicken, turkey and tons of yummy veggies and nuts. lots of nuts :blush: .

but the probiotics have deff helped me tremendously with the GP. i havent yet figured out how to bolus for yogurt yet ( still trying) as i respond to it in a very peculiar way. sometimes i dont think it is worth trying to figure it out, but i love plain 2% Trader Joeā€™s Greek yogurt so much i just think i need to do a dual bolus to eat it without a later-on spike.

@daisymae If you like plain yogurt give Icelandic Provisions Skyr or Stonyfield whole milk plain yogurt a try. High protein, low carbs (6g). They are incomparable. Yum.

i love stoneyfield whole milk fat, also love brown cow w/ cream on top

Brown Cow is absolutely the best!

When I practiced in California my office was just down the block from the Brown Cow main office and I had several patients from there. They would regularly gift me with a case of yogurt. That was before insulin resistance set in and the 26-32g of carbs didnā€™t phase me.

I would love some of their plain cream on top yogurt but I canā€™t seem to find it here in Texas. :sob:

no doubt about it :sunny: . have you tried ordering from NYC? we have it practically everywhere on the east coast :wink:

If I werenā€™t watching carbs, Iā€™d go back to eating Noosa some of the timeā€”the yogurt itself is lovely, and the fruit with it makes it like a dessert. That said, if you substitute it as a dessert, then that reframe makes the carb count seem not that bad, ha. Iā€™m not huge into the pumpkin everything come fall (especially fake pumpkin pie-flavoring), but their pumpkin flavor is like thick cream swirled with pumpkin pie filling, and itā€™s amazingā€¦

(Waiting for my cousin to pick me up to go get breakfast and omg so hungry now.)

first off, i dont like the fruit flavored yogurt. i like it strait. but pumpkin flavored, OMG, that sounds super delicious.i love pumpkin anything :blush:

this wasnt meant to start out this way, but this thread is now all about yogurt !!! :blush:

Great source of probiotics. So itā€™s right on topic.

great point.

I believe Iā€™ve shared this in another threadā€¦My favorite ā€œdessertā€ is plain Icelandic full fat yogurt (Siggiā€™s is my go to right now) with a Tablespoon of warm Trader Joeā€™s organic Peanut Butter mixed into it (I prefer the no salt, no sugar version). :peanuts:

1 Like