Veteran's Day

I know there are Veterans here, and I want to say THANK YOU! Thank you for your service!

( and a belated Happy Birthday to all my USMC friends :slight_smile: )

14 Likes

Thanks, and likewise in return!
I was 22+ years, 13 different living locations, many deployments (Africa, Middle East). My brother and I both learned from our dad’s 23 years USN of constant WestPac cruises…brother went USA, me USAF. Dad once went out on a 1 week shake down cruise only to come back 11 months later! On the good side, we often got two Christmas’s, one in Dec and one in Jun/Jul/Aug or whenever Dad got home. We’re both retired now…

Those that have/are serving have a special place in our hearts! And likewise their families that get uprooted every 2-3 years and endure deployments without Mom or Dad!

10 Likes

Thanks @elver. My service was less dramatic than @TomH 's, but satisfying nonetheless.

3 Likes

I remember those days… Sometimes Xmas happened during TDY and PCS, just because.

Thanks for your service @TomH !

3 Likes

@Chris Thanks for your service! Glad it was relatively uneventful :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I remember being deployed with Air Force who called it TDY. Lol. They didn’t like the big fancy GP Medium tents with wood barrier partitions separating the rooms. They said they usually stay in hotels. Us Army could only shake our heads because these tents were a major upgrade for us. :smiley:

3 Likes

Sounds like you got the fancy sleeps 12 and not the normal sleeps 21 cots with rollup screen sides version. High class livin’! As a brat we would always fight to sleep in a GP if we could, it was way way better than quarters.

3 Likes

Thank you for your service @elver @TomH @Chris @ClaudnDaye and others! Today and every day. Extra bonus points for the fact that you made it through years of service with a PITA chronic disease. Definitely deserves a special badge.

ETA @ClaudnDaye !

2 Likes

@amusesbouche, @TomH @Chris @ClaudnDaye and others deserve your thanks. I was just a brat, but I thank you for them.

5 Likes

I remember my Dad getting home for TDY too!

We often had two Xmas celebrations, one at home in Hawaii (where we lived most of my childhood) and one when we would visit family or they would come visit us!

A bit late but thank you to all the Veterans here!!

3 Likes

@ClaudnDaye Wait…you had plywood barriers?! I lived out of GP M and L’s for various training/deployment, never got a barrier. While in Saudi for DS I we took over two buildings I think intended for Saudi soldiers. 23 of us to a large room with cots for our bags and plywood storage bins for gear/clothes. Hard to sleep in quarters with troops you supervise and send in harms way! Some of the temper-tents our troops were in had plywood barriers, not all. Eventually got housed in “trailer city” and got a room shared with one other person just before I left.

3 Likes

Yes, in the “Tent cities” they were done up nicely. Even had a tent designated as a club, another as gym, etc., I was deployed 4 times and all but 2 we had tent cities with all the amenities. All 4 of my deployments (Saudi, Bosnia x2, Turkey) were 6-month stints and all of them had tent cities eventually. On my 1st deployment to Bosnia, we slept in our cots/sleeping bags in the open air/snow, under trees, for about 2 weeks until we built up our camp. It was fun!

3 Likes

Nothing in the world quite like “Army-fun”

3 Likes

HOOAH! :smile: The strangest part is that of the 11 years I served, that’s the only parts that I miss.

3 Likes

@ClaudnDaye It’s amazing the portion of mil service we remember aren’t the times we’d think. My wife and I reminisce about being stationed in Turkey; can’t list all the negatives, also can’t list all the friends we made (locals and military) and great experiences! Made life-long friends on deployments to the nether parts of the world! Working with foreign nationals at one base only to meet up with them again in a war zone! Thanks to all that served or supported those that have or are!

3 Likes

Where were you stationed in Turkey? I was at Incirlik AFB. That was my favorite deployment as we could actually go off base in the evenings and enjoy the shops on the strip and travel to other parts of the country.

I miss the Chicken Tava and cheese bread the most. :smiley: . (popular near bases to cater to soldier tastes)

3 Likes

I was in Izmir, west coast, in 1983-84, admittedly probably the most “westernized” city of Turkey at the time. Worked at 6th ATAF (NATO), but traveled to Incirlik as a TACEVAL inspector. Traveled about, worked security and intelligence, but had a side gig as a targets intel officer for wartime (what planes, what bombs, what targets for the theater), even worked on the AFSOUTH Strike plan. No base, we lived on the economy and got to know the locals. Many detriments, but we didn’t know how good we had it! Many great stories…

6 Likes

I was a 96B… It sounds like you had a similar MOS.

3 Likes

Fun FUD fact - @elver and I lived on the same army base. And I think we lived there about a year apart maybe.

We both attended the same school for a while, and I think we only missed each other by a very short time-span.

6 Likes

You can tell who paid attention in school… (Hint: not me)

5 Likes