Using Your Square Bolus

thanks. i get it now.

okay, that clarifies things a lot.

wow !!! that is an enormous amount of insulin !!!

Definitely a lot for anyone, but only applied after meals when those huge spikes occur.

on the TUD site (for offensive numb sculls ) i once read that people use their square bolus for when they go to long, social setting meals, wherein you will be noshing for an “extended” period of time. or holiday meals, like thanksgiving, for example.

i have yet to understand this; how can a person know what their insulin needs will be when they dont even know how long the event will last, and as well, how many carbs should be accounted for. they do not do dual boluses at all. the only thing i can think of, which is simply a guess, is that they are insulin stacking.

does anyone here, on our site, heard of this method of insulin dispension? it sounds ludicriss to me.

If you start a two hour square, and then after an hour you think you have had enough, you could just stop it. Or if you are done eating, or the food isn’t good, you just stop the square. Just because you set it and start it, doesn’t mean you need to keep it going.

But like I said, I don’t do it that way.

thank you; now it makes sense to me. i always forget about that very simple function.

Being able to start and stop is very nice – if you need it, you keep it going, if you don’t need it you stop it and you don’t have to worry about going low. If you straight bolus for X amount (assuming you’re going to eat X amount), and then you don’t eat X amount, you will be feeding the insulin later so that you don’t go low.

you dont do anything that way :wink:

1 Like

how do you do it? curious me, as usual :smile:

When it comes to food and insulin, I just use the force.

What is my BG, which direction is my BG going, how quickly am I going up or down, how much insulin is left in me, how active have I been, what kind of food is it, how have I been responding to insulin today, how long before I eat, will I have food available to cover a low later, what is for dessert, how hungry am I, how do I want to space my bolus for timing, what would my pancreas do it it was working correctly, how slow is this dang waitress at the restaurant…

As I have shared with you before, bolus calculators don’t look at things like that!

The best bolus calculator DM has, is the one sitting on her neck. :wink:

if i had a hundred dollars for every time i have thought that, i would have a bank account like Trump’s :rofl:

1 Like