I’ve recently moved onto the Omnipod (from MDI) and I’m trying to get my head around extending the bolus, and what that actually looks like on a graph.
Take the Achilles’ heel of many diabetics, the humble pizza. On MDI I would inject about 60% of my bolus before I eat, and then about an hour later I would inject the remaining 40%. It wasn’t perfect, but it avoid most of my highs and kept me in range.
The Omnipod, like all pumps, has an extended bolus feature, but from what I can gather, it behaves a bit differently than say a dual wave or a square wave on other makes of pump, and I can’t quite get my head around what it looks like.
Let’s say for my pizza I needed to take 10u (simply because it’s an easy number to work with, its not my actual I:C ratio). On MDI I would take 6u with food, 4u an hour later. With Omnipod though it looks as though if I took my 6u upfront, then extended the bolus for the remaining 4u it would slowly drip those 4u into me over the following time I’d selected. In this example, let’s say I do this over 2 hours.
Its this bit I can’t get my head around. It feels as though the extension is more like a temporary increased basal for those 2 hours, rather than more of a split like on MDI. The graphs I’ve seen of dual/square wave delivery look more like you would expect with MDI too - two peaks an hour apart with the insulin tailing off over the following 4 hours.
Can anyone explain to me in relatively simple terms, and preferably with graphs, what an extended bolus does and looks like with Omnipod?